cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you unlock an old handset?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I have recently upgraded and found the form to unlock my current handset but how do I unlock my old handset?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147060 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28286 Solutions
If it's not too long since you used it put your phone number into the form with the IMEI number of your old handset. It may still be successful. Your friend will have to connect phone to iTunes with a non O2 sim in it when O2 tell you if the unlock worked OK. If not, you will have to get the phone back in the UK to do it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Fill out the online unlock form and then O2 will let you know by e mail that the unlock has been successful.

Then insert your alternative {non O2} Uk Sim Card and hook the iPhone up to iTunes.

This will then complete the unlock procedure.

Note : If you have an iPhone 5 their is no need to hook up to iTunes as inserting the alternative sim card is all thats needed.

Message 2 of 6

MI5
  • 147060 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28286 Solutions
In addition...... You use the same form, but you may have to either use your current sim in your old phone or put a PAYG sim in your old phone and use it to make calls with - This is to activate the phone on the network if it's not been used for a while.
If you use the PAYG sim you will need £15 credit (unlocking fee), if you use your contract sim it is free.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

my friend has my old phone but my new iphone 5 sim would not fit in it anyway so if i fill in the form anyway it may still unlock old phone when he puts new sim in?

Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks my friend has my old handset outside of uk so I cannot hook it up to itunes after unlock

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 147060 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28286 Solutions
If it's not too long since you used it put your phone number into the form with the IMEI number of your old handset. It may still be successful. Your friend will have to connect phone to iTunes with a non O2 sim in it when O2 tell you if the unlock worked OK. If not, you will have to get the phone back in the UK to do it.
Message 6 of 6