Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot spotting

TS1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey, I'm a pay monthly customer with an iPhone 7 and I can't hot spot to either my work or home PC.

I used to be able to do this, but haven't needed to for about a year.

I've tried several online trouble shooting guides and have done things like: connected my phone with a cable to the PC, 'forgot' my iPhone on the computer and then re-entered the hotspot code, cleared the phone cache, re-set on network on my phone.

The error message is "Connected, no internet".

Any ideas to fix this please?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Is it a network connection setting on the pc then - you have to tell it to allow data through an unsecured connection?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 2 of 11

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Try changing the hotspot password.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 11

TS1
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks Jonsie, but O2 customer services aren't available for any calls beyond the most urgent for vulnerable customers due to CV 19. Seems that although they are a telco they haven't worked out how to get their customer services team to WFH with laptops! Incredible. 😞
Thanks anyway, cheers.
Message 4 of 11

TS1
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there,

Thanks for this. I've tried that just now, still the same outcome unfortunately.

Thanks anyway, cheers.

Message 5 of 11

gmarkj
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Would changing the APN away from idata solve this @MI5?
Or is it a customer services tick box that needs to happen first?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

I'm not convinced this is an iData issue @gmarkj .

The hotspot is working but not allowing data through. I've come across it before but can't remember the fix.....

But yes, anything is worth a try.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

gmarkj
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Is it a network connection setting on the pc then - you have to tell it to allow data through an unsecured connection?

Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Yes, could be something like that....

Currently using:
Message 9 of 11

TS1
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there @MI5 @gmarkj and @jonsie 

Thanks once again for your discussion and thoughts of things to try.

1. APN change:

• I looked up the Apple website about this as I'd never heard of it. It notes that your carrier might not allow this
  • As it happens the two areas that they pointed me to to look for this information, nothing is present at all about APN for me, so I out of luck on that tip

2. PC data issue:

• I searched all of my data settings and couldn't find anything to do with an 'unsecured network' but I did find the following
  • Data usage > Set data limit > I changed this to 'unlimited'

And it worked!! I've subsequently re-started my machine and tested it all a couple of times and it's all good now. 

So, thank you all for your thoughts and tips to try to get to the bottom of this issue. It's very much appreciated. I will also change this on my work PC so when my home internet fails (which has been happening quite a bit lately) I'll still be able to work.

Very much appreciate your kind assistance.

Cheers and keep safe.

Message 10 of 11