cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home internet connection on iPhone 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I have just taken delivery of an iPhone 4 and am having problems connecting to the internet at home in certain rooms. I am ok in the kitchen or the hallway in front of my home hub but can't get it in the dining room or lounge

Can anyone suggest why this might be and what I can do to make this work?

Also why does my O2 connection keep dropping out in certain places in the house?

Cheers Rainy2012

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144177 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Settings > Mobile Networks
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 144177 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Phone signals can struggle to pass through the walls of buildings (depending on type of construction). The same applies to your wifi signal. If you can, it is best to have your router centralised within the property to allow for maximum signal transfer.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand what your saying, but the only place we can have our router is in the hall. Also I have never had a problem with internet connection on other phones that I have had, even my iPhone 3G was ok. Its just this new phone 

Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 144177 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
That is actually a slightly different question you are asking.... I wasn't aware that this was unique to your new phone. Did you get a new SIM or are you still using your old one? What version of iOs is the phone running? Anything else that is different since you used the old 3G (bigger trees in garden, new buildings in your area etc....)

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I didn't explain myself very well. Yes I did get a new sim, this one is a micro sim and my old one was a bigger one. I think I am on IOS6 (had an update on Saturday) there is nothing else new in the area since using my old phone

Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 144177 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
How long has this been like it? Before the update or after ? Check your postcode here http://status.o2.co.uk/ for any known service issues. Have you tried resetting your network connections or doing a restore from iTunes?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has been going on since I got the new phone last Tuesday. Will check my postcode. Don't know how to reset network connections. How do I do a restore from iTunes. I am not very good with phones and computers 😞

Message 7 of 13

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

to reset newtwork settings in ios settings> general> reset> reset network settings

You will need to enter any wifi passwords again.

To restore in itunes connect iphone to pc in itunes right click on iphones name and restore from backup.

But wifi is also affected by neighboring wifi spots you may need to manually select a wifi channel that is away from others in your area,

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 144177 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
You can also try turning off 3G in network settings to see if it helps with your phone signal.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have tried the reset network settings but nothing so far will try the iTunes restore.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Message 10 of 13