cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heads up : Swype is currently available for free in the App Store for a limited time. I

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

This is the first time this 3rd party keyboard has been free as App of the Week. It's awesome and well worth downloading to have a play with its features. With the release of iOS 8 and the feature to use 3rd party keyboards which I've mentioned in other threads this one is the cream of the crop in my opinion. 

What do you think of it. 

Android end users seem to like it too. 😄

Excerpt from the link "Swype is currently available for free in the App Store for a limited time. If you aren’t familiar with Swype, check out Lory’s first look at the third-party keyboard. Since she published it, the app has also been updated with support for more languages and improved iPad layout, making it an even more solid option."

Source : idownloadblog 

Swype keyboard is temporarily free in the App Store

image.jpg

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

It's not something I've always been keen on although the T9 Advanced is pretty good.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
It does take some getting used to I admit.

Message 3 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions
Swype is a wonderful thing but shouldn't be used in Thai bars as many may have Note(d) on here occasionally
Message 4 of 8

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

...you know, here's the thing for me with ALL these 'swipe' style keyboards:

I find that it is actually SLOWER, to type, using these swipe style keyboards. The main reason being is the process you need to follow each time you swipt to enter a word:

1. Think of the word you wish to enter

2. Place finger on first letter of thought of word

3. Without moving finger yet, work out which direction you need to swipe in order to hit all the letters in the word

4. Execute the swipe.

5. Think of the next word you wish to enter.

6. Place finger on first letter of thought of word

7. Without moving finger yet, work out which direction you need to swipe in order to hit all the letters in the word

8. Execute the swipe

.....and rinse and repeat for EVERY word you are writing. Imagine if you were writing a long text - you would literally be there ALL DAY swiping along! Crazy

Far quicker to just use the tradional text input - I guarantee if you have a race between 2 people - one using swipe and one using traditional input - the swiper would lose EVERY time!!!

I also hate the fact that ALL these swipe styke keyboards ask for  access to ALL the info you have EVER input into the keyboard, which would include things like when you have used it to enter contact details, or bank details, and other personal and sensative information.

Sorry, but, no thanks.

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very eloquently put and that's the beauty of choice.

It does take some adjusting to I agree.
Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
On this occasion, I don't agree wink
I find continuous input methods much quicker than the standard text input process. Accuracy is not all that important either as it is linked to a predictive database of words.
Final point re security, they are no different to any keyboard in that respect. They need to learn your writing style to improve the accuracy and they do that by storing the words and phrases you most commonly use. Most times you can write a whole sentence by just tapping the space bar after the first word has been entered. Also, they don't store anything entered in a password field so there is no chance of the keyboard remembering any of your log in details automatically.
I can fully understand anyone's reservations but I would certainly encourage you to at least give one a try slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122892 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I can fully understand anyone's reservations but I would certainly encourage you to at least give one a try slight_smile

One reason I suspect that I may lag behind with typing on my phone.

I have tried it and couldn't get on with it at all... It is a matter of what works best for the individual.

Anyone with slightly swollen arthritic fingers like me, may find it very difficult to use. Ending up with all sorts of words that the Oxford dictionary has yet to discover Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 8