cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has SMTP been blocked by o2 to 3rd party mail servers?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I have been using imap on my iphone for the past year and a half. In the last 6 months or so, something has changed whereby I am unable to send email (I can receive email) when I am on a mobile connection (Data/3G) however, when on WIFI my email sends fine.

My assumption is that o2 have blocked access via port 25, and port 587 to my mail server (heart internet).

It is frustrating that with no change in login details, i can send email over wifi, but as soon as I do not have wifi access - I am unable to reply to any emails, though I can still receive them. To my surprise this also happens overseas when using data roaming.

I tried setting up an o2 account so that i could use this as an outgoing mail server from my iphone - but alas, to no avail. that doesnt seem to be able to connect either.

This problem is currently occuring on:

my business partners iPhone 4GS - it occured on my 4G, and is now occuring on my new 5G - all have been on o2 contracts. I am therefore ruling out individual handsets.

It is also my understanding that by sending my mail from a o2 smtp - but having the email coming from mydomain.com - could trick some peoples email clients/mail servers into thinking my email is phishing or spam, and flag it accordingly. What has o2 changed? I never used to have this problem, does anyone have a working solution?

Many thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

No isp email issues on my iphone i use my domain hostings company's auth smtp server and have no issues iphone or Ipad

Perhaps you need to get your isp / domain email auth smtp server address

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Adam,

It works fine on wifi, using the exact same settings. the problem is not the server I am connecting to, from my mac, and windows pc I can connect to the mail server fine, as I can from my phone on any wifi connection i've tried around the world.

as soon as i switch to mobile connection - i can no longer connect, using the exact same settings. These settings have not changed on my phone in 1.5 years, but in the past 6 months, outgoing hasnt worked from 3g/edge/data networks - wifi continues to work fine. surely this makes it an issue with the carrier, since it works over wifi?

Message 3 of 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

what error messages do you get?

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

To add, I've also been having this exact same problem with trying to send emails using Heart Internet. The only way I got around this was by visiting an o2 store and the guy setting me up with another outgoing server, as smtp.o2.co.uk, but, the problem with this is that you can only use that o2 server set to ON for sending out emails, and I had to turn off my heart internet server. This shouldn't be required surely!
Anyone else with an update on how to fix this to send out on Heart Internets server on the iPhone?

Message 5 of 12

TimO
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Did you ever get a solution to this? I am in the same boat...
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing definitive unfortunately! 

Apple point to o2 or heart, heart point to apple or o2 and o2 point to apple or heart, in somewhat of corporate mexican standoff.

All have offered curtious, prompt customer service, with a between the lines subtext that reads: "we hope you get it fixed, and we want you to know we REALLY care about you as a customer, but it isn't our problem to fix - so go try those guys - it's probably their fault"

In fairness, a heart internet technician got me to attempt to send mails from 3g repeatedly over several port variations, whilst he looked at my account for activity to see where it was failing, and he said they couldnt even see it trying to connect at their end, and pointed to an issue with the phone or carrier, Given that the phones have changed across operating system version, handset model, and even manufacturer... im inclined to rule apple out at this point - but also I'm past the point of expecting customer support to offer answers after we establish turning the device off and on again doesn't fix anything.

Somewhat comically, all 3 companies followed up out of courtesy within a week or two, not to offer any further solution or suggestion, but simply to check if the other companies fixed it. I find this really makes all 3 feel less sincere, and more like their employees are just taught to use CRM software with callbacks/email reminders for customer retention.

All I know is that me and my business partner experienced the exact same problems, on different handsets, (iphone4/iphone4s/iphone5/ and now he has switched to an android phone - which is even worse for smtp send fails) we are both on o2 contracts but with different tarrifs. using the same heart internet SMTP mail server.

My most stable (yet convoluted) workaround was to install a webmail client on our server as a last ditch alternative. (it's called squirrelmail and you can find it in the heart internet backend) then use that through safari on the iphone.

Luckily, recently it seems to have been more stable, both on the UK data network and roaming abroad on my iphone 5 (iOS7) but for my business partners android phone, it's still as likely that email will send, as it is that Scotland will win the next world cup.

Whether this will work for you or not, i don't know, but I am using the below for SMTP.

Settings: mail.yourdomain.com

username: whatever@yourdomain.com

pass: (you'll have to fill in this bit)

Use SSL: Off

Authentication: Password

Port: 587

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am still having this issue today. I am currently trying to send an email using smtp.o2.co.uk, but it's still hanging...

Has anyone had any further luck?

Message 8 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
O2's smtp may well be shut down by now as part of the email closure.
You should use your own email providers smtp if you can.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Facts about the shutdown:

http://www.o2.co.uk/o2email

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 12