cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half baked Wifi Calling from o2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unbelievable that o2 was the last major network to launch WiFi Calling and it even does support sending and receiving text messages (SMS). Surely, if someone is using this service wants to be reachable by any means.

All other major networks support SMS on WiFi and it looks like I'm left with no choice but to switch by the end of my contract as it's paramount for my job people are able to contact me.

Disappointing service from o2.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Installing WhatsApp is not an issue.

I have clients trying to reach me while I'm in place with no coverage and sometimes by text... sometimes from Android phones.

It's not the point anyway. As the technology is there and o2 is one of the leading nextworks in the UK why can't they provide fully fledged service? 

Message 11 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
As the technology is there and o2 is one of the leading nextworks in the UK why can't they provide fully fledged service? 

Good point!

@MercedesS can you ask o2 for a comment please?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bet it will be no comment 

More info
LOL
Message 13 of 22

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

the biggest problem this day in age is all the NIMBY (not in my back yard) that get all up in arms about masts going up in area's.. networks all strive to get as much network coverage as possible, take where i live for an example, Voda wanted to put a mast up in a blackspot area for them to enable better coverage yet the NIMBYS came out in force to oppose this because it would destroy the look of the village, so what can a netwok do?? take virgin media as anouther example when they do street survey to lay cables for Virgin Media i think its something like 90% of that street have to say yes they would take the service otherwise its not cash effective for virgin to go and dig up that road and again the Nimbys wont want road works for 2 weeks, so is this the same as Mobile networks placing a mast in a black spot area?? 

Message 15 of 22

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
As the technology is there and o2 is one of the leading nextworks in the UK why can't they provide fully fledged service? 

Good point!

@MercedesS can you ask o2 for a comment please?

Asked, we'll update here with any comment we get. slight_smile

Message 16 of 22

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys, just updating here with the answer from O2 (see also this topic about general updates):

Please note that our Wifi Calling service doesn’t currently support the ability to send/receive SMS when there is no cellular coverage available. We’re continually working to improve our products and services and will let you know of any changes.

Message 17 of 22

bilko
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Not a solution as such ..... a date would be better than nothing
Message 18 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@bilkowrote:
Not a solution as such ..... a date would be better than nothing

This thread is 7 months old @bilko but they still must be working on it as there is no change at all..:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 22

bilko
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I need to decide if I'm sticking with O2 for my next contract.

Perhaps not it seems.

Message 20 of 22