cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half baked Wifi Calling from o2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unbelievable that o2 was the last major network to launch WiFi Calling and it even does support sending and receiving text messages (SMS). Surely, if someone is using this service wants to be reachable by any means.

All other major networks support SMS on WiFi and it looks like I'm left with no choice but to switch by the end of my contract as it's paramount for my job people are able to contact me.

Disappointing service from o2.

Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys, just updating here with the answer from O2 (see also this topic about general updates):

Please note that our Wifi Calling service doesn’t currently support the ability to send/receive SMS when there is no cellular coverage available. We’re continually working to improve our products and services and will let you know of any changes.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I guess you just can't please everyone....
Sorry it doesn't work for you 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

They can tho.

If it's techically possible which it is then why can't they give it to us? 🤷‍♂️

Message 3 of 22

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Ah, the million dollar question !

Although tbh, I thought texts did work?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 22

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Me too.....
Never was waiting for wifi calling anyway.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no need of it so you may have to just put up with what you got. After all st least you actually have it so you can't complain about that 

Message 7 of 22

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-and-4g-calling#what-is-wifi-and-4g-... says no sms

Voicemail and texts when using Wifi Calling without mobile coverage:

• SMS, MMS and Visual Voicemail (VVM) messages need mobile coverage to reach your phone so these won’t work in wifi-only areas.
  • You’ll still be able to receive voicemails but, as above, text notifications will only work if you have mobile coverage so you’ll need to dial 901 to check for new messages.
  • iPhone customers – iMessage will continue to work even if you only have wifi coverage available.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 22

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yeah, my EE sim that does texts too.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

you will recive texts if your iMessage as that will work over wifi. if its that much of an issue then install Whatsapp that way you can call and text over Wifi you dont need to have mobile signal for that just wifi will do, where their is a will their is a way! 

Message 10 of 22