cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going abroad, contract SIM

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please could someone let me know how it works,

So I'm going away for 2 weeks to Hong Kong etc, I am taking my iPhone 6 with me but I will be taking the SIM card out as I have to use a HK SIM card....

Will I still get charged?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Absolutely not going to happen its a brand new contract
Message 11 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
That o2 aren't unlocking iPhone 6 at the moment should not come as a surprise. There are dozens of posts about this.

Personally I don't see why they don't but for whatever reason they just won't.
Message 12 of 25

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23138 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

If you're not prepared to pay off your contract to get your phone unlocked, the only other alternative would be to use an old unlocked phone, if you have one, so you can use a HK sim, if that's what you need to do while you're there.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 13 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Cutiekitty992 great to hear you are going to Hong Kong! 

I was thinking we can start something like the 'out of the box' reviews but to tell your experiences with O2 while abroad, something like 'out of the country' experiences.

What do you guys think?

Message 14 of 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous @Anonymous great to hear you are going to Hong Kong! 

I was thinking we can start something like the 'out of the box' reviews but to tell your experiences with O2 while abroad, something like 'out of the country' experiences.

What do you guys think?

O2 has probably the best roaming offer for trips to EU destinations (countries where Three Feel At Home works would be an exception though). However, as for the rest of the world O2 is probably the worst in terms of costs.  Some sort of data/calls roaming bundles for non-EU countries would really help.

Message 16 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 123064 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@cyrillicguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous @Anonymous great to hear you are going to Hong Kong! 

What do you guys think?

O2 has probably the best roaming offer for trips to EU destinations (countries where Three Feel At Home works would be an exception though). However, as for the rest of the world O2 is probably the worst in terms of costs.  Some sort of data/calls roaming bundles for non-EU countries would really help.

Nowadays I only go to Spain so I agree with O2 having a good roaming service for EU. Using WiFi etc my bill is just a little bit higher than normal (with some management and organisation of folk who want to get in touch) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 25

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Roaming on O2 in Asia is particularly shocking and the first thing I do is take the O2 sim out of the phone and replace it with a local sim card. A combination of TuGo on the phone and MightyText on the tablet allows me to keep in touch with family & friends using my allowances.

O2 really should come up with a roaming package for non-European travel. £1.50 per minute to make or receive calls and 49p to send a text is ridiculous in these times and to compound matters O2 charge perpart minute. If I call someone and the call lasts 2 seconds, the charge is still £1.50.

Do O2 not realise that they would generate more profit by encouraging people to stick with their network when overseas if they came up with a travel package rather than relying on the unsuspecting people coming home to bill shock? They will say it's the charges they have to pay foreign networks but those costs bear no comparison to the charges that O2 impose.

Message 18 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 123064 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Excellent point @jonsie Though I personally have no problem with travel to the EU...others going further afield do. Its a rip off obviously. Could I just ask what Mighty Text is please?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 25

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Excellent point @jonsie Though I oersonally have no problem with travel to the EU...others going further afiend obviously do. Its a rip off obviously. Could I just ask what Mighty Text is please?

I use it on the tablet or the laptop @Cleoriff over wifi and it allows me to send/receive text messages. This doesn't use your allowance to send texts but it makes sure my friends can text me and that I can contact them whichever device I have with me. You install it on both the phone and tablet and they sync together with your home sim card. You can also initiate calls via the app on the pc or tablet from your mobile if you wish, though I use TuGo if I need to call.

http://mightytext.net/

mt.JPG

Message 20 of 25