GiffGaff Pay As You Go Sim in O2 Phone

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Hi all!

My son currently has a giffgaff pay as you go sim, on this tariff:

500MB 4G UK data + 250 UK mins + Unlimited UK texts for £7.50 a month (on a recurring top up)

This sim is being used in old iPhone 4.

He will be going to France soon, with his school and are looking to get him an iPhone 5C, to take with him (the iPhone 4 is ancient and REALLY slow!).

Will his existing GIffGaff sim, work ok in a new Pay As You Go O2 iPhone 5C?

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
"No quibble returns and a 6 month warranty"
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 31

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Hmm...well the returns policy is a little longer, but the one on Amazon is listed as 'excellent, nearly new' condition, and comes with a screen protector and a case. At least the OP has a choice other than an O2 locked phone.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 12 of 31

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
It'll be fine for a kid to chuck around and a decent price saving too slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 31

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Just one other question (save me from starting a new thread!) - will his existing GiffGaff sim, work in France or will I have to ask GiffGaff to enable something on the account?!

Message 14 of 31

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
They are automatically enabled for international use but you can't use goodybags - he will need credit on his account for it to work.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 31

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
They are automatically enabled for international use but you can't use goodybags - he will need credit on his account for it to work.

...sorry, I don't follow? What do you mean they won't work? Smiley Indifferent

His account auto tops up with this: 500MB 4G UK data + 250 UK mins + Unlimited UK texts for £7.50 a month (on a recurring top up).

He doesn't physically have credit on his account as the above automatically gives him 250 UK mins and UK texts.

Actually, now that I have just typed that, I realise that its UK mins and UK texts - is that the reason this Goodybag won't work in France?

Message 16 of 31

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Correct - Goodybags only work in the UK.
You will need to manually put extra credit on.
https://www.giffgaff.com/buy

Currently using:
Message 17 of 31

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
International rates for giffgaff here https://www.giffgaff.com/index/international

Currently using:
Message 18 of 31

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Correct - Goodybags only work in the UK.
You will need to manually put extra credit on.
https://www.giffgaff.com/buy

@MI5 wrote:
International rates for giffgaff here https://www.giffgaff.com/index/international

...cheers for them links Fantastic

I guess I will just have to make sure any services which auto fetch data (liek email and/or apps) are turned off, whilst he is over there, so they don't eat into his credit/data.

Message 19 of 31

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Yes, it is expensive.
That's the beauty of UK roaming rates !

Currently using:
Message 20 of 31