Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GUIDE: How to put your iPhone into Recovery/DFU Mode

Mark_1980
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 128 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

As most iPhone owners will be aware, you can reset your device by holding down both the home button and sleep/wake button together until the device reboots. This will cure the majority of crashes and issues.

However, there may also be occasions where the phone goes seriously wrong and may appear to be 'dead'. Not everybody is aware that there is a second method which can be used to bring a phone back to life when all else seems lost. Consider it a 'last resort' if you like!

The second method involves putting the phone into recovery, or DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode. Putting the phone into recovery mode lets iTunes know that it needs to perform a full restore on the handset. Here's how to do it:

1. Ensure that the iPhone is OFF before starting.
2. On your computer, open iTunes.
3. Connect your iPhone to your computer using the USB cable.
4. Hold down the SLEEP/WAKE Button and the HOME button together.
5. After 10 seconds, let go of the SLEEP/WAKE button (keep the home button held down).
6. Keep holding the HOME button until iTunes displays a message saying that it has detected a phone in recovery mode.

You will then be prompted to restore the phone using iTunes. Follow the on screen instructions and your iPhone will be restored.

You may also have the option to restore your iPhone from a backup, but I would not advise doing this if you think that an app may have caused your device to go wrong in the first place.

The above method can also be used to get around forgotten PIN numbers. I've used it to restore several of our company handsets when people have handed their phones back in but forgotten to provide their PINs!

I hope this helps. If anyone reading this needs a hand, just drop me a message and I'll be happy to talk you through it slight_smile

Mark

I don't care what rank I am and neither should anyone else.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Very useful and I've used it myself a number of times.
Worth pointing out though that it won't remove an Apple ID so you would need to be able to remember the log in for that to progress beyond reinstalling the firmware.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Mark_1980
  • 128 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
@MI5 - I've restored a couple of work iPhones back as 'new' phones without knowing the previous Apple IDs? You've made me want to go and try it again now! wink
Message 3 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Last one I did asked me to log in with original apple ID after I'd restored the firmware.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

Mark_1980
  • 128 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Last one I did asked me to log in with original apple ID after I'd restored the firmware.

Weird? The only thing I can think of is that the staff who had the iPhones didn't use an Apple ID, but then they must have done as they would have needed to have downloaded a couple of apps for work!

We'll call it an 'anomaly'.. wink

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Awesome guide @Mark_1980 I'm sure it will be very useful for members. Well done you!
Message 6 of 7

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Mark_1980 Thank you! Lovely job with this guide, very useful and clear. Well done. slight_smile 

Message 7 of 7