Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Apple

Anonymous

Future 3G coverage

After I recieved a text from O2 about the new iPhone I decided to find out more.

I live in an area that has no edge coverage, but reasonable 3G coverage by everyone other than O2.

I went into my local O2 shop to ask about future expansion of the O2 3G network, e.g. will we ever get 3G here on the Isle of Wight, as this is the only reason for me to "upgrade".

The "Lady" that served me didn't know, didn't know how to find out, could not care less and was downright rude. :mansurprised:

Why did Apple give exclusivity to this completely lacklustre company? :robotindifferent:
Will they ever allow the iphone to be sold on other networks? :robotindifferent:

Will O2 respond to my questions about whether I will get 3G coverage - I will not be holding my breath!
Anonymous

Future 3G coverage

O2 have a multi year deal for the iphone so for now it is only o2....

O2 are spending time not just rolling out the 3g network but having to change equipment at some cell sites for enable 3/3.5g ofcom set outguidelines in regards to the granting of the 3g licence and they have completed the 80% of the uk population coverage that was required. They are now pushing past that as it is in the networks best interest to do so considering they now offer mobile broadband and the iphone.

When and what towns will upgrade to 3g no doubt will be a long process and as o2 dont share networks it will take longer than others... I will try and find out about the IOW coverage for you...
Anonymous

Re: Future 3G coverage

Why did Apple give exclusivity to this completely lacklustre company? :robotindifferent:
Will they ever allow the iphone to be sold on other networks? :robotindifferent:

I believe they were originally expected to go with Orange (still wish they had) but O2 offered more revenue share at the last minute Smiley Sad

The iPhone won't appear on any other networks for at least 4 years sadly as O2 have a 5 year contract with Apple to be the exclusive distributors unless one or two of the other networks get together and try and have the courts decide it's unfair Smiley Wink - much like what happened in Germany, but their laws are somewhat different.
Anonymous

Hi,
Below is what i got from O2 CS when i emailed them about 3G on the IOW:

"Hello James,

Thanks for emailing us to ask about the 3G coverage in the Isle of Wight.

I'm sorry I'm unable to tell you the 3G coverage in the Isle of Wight, as this information isn't available with us."

Yes 'isn't available with us' is *not* the answer they must know where the masts are for heaven sake! Or the plans to upgrade network. A whole county does not have have 3G or EDGE on there network. This site is useful in finding out about where mast are etc:

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

And you guess what no 3G from o2 for upwards of 10000 people! all the other network even 3 have more coverage....

James.
Anonymous

Future 3G coverage

Hi, If you look at the coverage maps on the o2 website for 3G, it brings home the problem that we are not able to use 3G as a strong alternative to Wi-Fi. Ok we get BT Openzone & the Cloud for free, but are we not in the same position as we were 6 month's ago with EDGE? Can we trust o2 to continue the roll out of 3G or will they just take our money from us and follow the same path as EDGE?
Anonymous

Future 3G coverage

Whilst I agree we got a little bit lead up the garden path with the Edge and its roll out, I can not see why they wouldnt carry on increasing the 3g coverage...

With so much going on in the mobile market getting new customers and maintaining the customer is the only way to go, no mobile operator can afford to lose a vast market.

Improvements on the 3g roll out for o2 isnt just about the iphone but about the future of o2... so why wouldnt they continue to roll it out to areas and increase cell sites. The iphone is just one product that uses o2's 3g network... mobile broadband is also using it. O2 are behind others on coverage as they do not share cell sites or networks. Also they are having to update certain sites to enable it to 3g. On top of all that 3g mast are not as strong as a gsm mast and so they need to increase the amount for the amount of people joining the 3g netowrk.

Also I think that the 3g licence were granted for 4 years, as o2 were told by ofcom if they did not reach the 80% of the uk population that they would have the licence made short by several months at a cost of £41m

The use of the cloud and Bt openzone is for several reasons... I think the main one is to take congestion from the 3g network in built up areas where more people are going to be using 3g..... It is like home broadband the more people use a cell site the less speed you get. Having BT openzone is a great addition to surfing but will also help with A-GPS

In short... Yes o2 have been slow with the roll out of 3g, but they are now cover over 80% of the uk population....
They have no option but to increase the roll out to areas as well as placing more cell sites in areas already covered.. Of course I am afraid to say major towns, cities and high populated areas will get 3g first. O2's map is there as a guide.. it used to say I could get video... and I couldnt now I can get HSDPA and thats not on the map yet.....

If o2 fail to grow their 3g network all that will happen is they will lose the iphone and all its customers...
Anonymous

HI,
Yes i joined O2 with the iphone in Nov from Orange, the GSM coverage was better where i live on O2 but this whole 3G is a joke with them. No masts on the whole IOW!

O2 if you are reading this please please think about more 3G coverage, I thought offcom where going to starting turning off 2G in 2009.

James.
Anonymous

Future 3G coverage

Hi, Over the past year I have been useing my laptop with an external modem with the 3 Network. I can not recall a time when 3G was not available. After all the talk of shareing the data from the masts and how poor the 3 Network is, I have never had problems. Ok it's not as fast as Wi-Fi on my laptop, but it's far better than EDGE on the iPhone. All this talk of other networks sharing is fine, but no good if o2 has no coverage! I drive regular from Leeds to Hull and looking on the o2 coverage maps, once leaving Leeds there is no coverage until you hit Hull! Makes you wonder if upgrading to 3G iphone is worth it?
Anonymous

Future 3G coverage

With 3 and TMobile joining forces, and Orange with Vodafone. O2 is now the only network going it alone for 3g coverage... and so they have the smallest coverage of any provider. iPhone will probably drive O2's 3G expansion plans, and they'll target the areas where the phones are used most first. If they don't and O2's coverage remains solely metropolitan, then their sales will be limited, and people will still unlock phones to use on other networks providing better coverage.

If it gets really bad, Jobs might buy O2 out of the contract to save face.
Anonymous

Future 3G coverage

Its not just in the interest of the iphone but o2's mobile broadband....

Jeff... my brother has o2's mobile broadband in Eggborough just off the M62 and he gets 3g coverage.... and its faster than his standard ISP... My sister has 3g coverage at Ferry Bridge... just off the M62...

Its not just about coverage its about how many people use each cell too.... yes of course 3g is faster than Edge and we all know that o2 were slow thats why ofcom stepped in...

It is not just a case of rolling out 3g to cover an area but being able to cover the amount of people using it too