cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force 3g Over Edge?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys

Is there any way to force my 6 PLus to NOT use the Edge network?

or is it true that 02 have no control over this and it is coded into the phone to choose the best one it sees

(my o2/EDGE in Exeter just does not work AT ALL)

I have a geyser on the Apple forums tell me it's all a load of codswallop and down to o2 but an 02 Store  manager says it is nothign to do with O2. I just want get to the facts, to jnow for myself and to shut the apple guy up.

thanks

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
The phone will lock onto the strongest signal, this may or may not be the fastest.
The only control o2 has is what signal it puts out - the phone does the rest and you can only lock onto a lower network if the phone settings allow which are usually 2g, 3g, 4g or all (auto)
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
The phone will lock onto the strongest signal, this may or may not be the fastest.
The only control o2 has is what signal it puts out - the phone does the rest and you can only lock onto a lower network if the phone settings allow which are usually 2g, 3g, 4g or all (auto)
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
yh, thanks, I just found this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4914753?tstart=0
Damn shame
Message 3 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

In iOS you can select only 2g then 3G (which is 2g and 3G ) and 4g ( all)

what is yours set to ?

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe not much help to you.

But when I was with O2, having my iPhone go on to EDGE or even worse, GPRS for no reason in a 3G area, was a real annoyance for me. I used to often need to toggle Airplane mode on/off to try and get 3G back or when I had been on a telephone call.

Since I switched network, I don’t have these issues now. So I definitely blame the O2 network, there’s no other explanation.

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Good tip. Everyone leave o2 then I won't have any congestion issues wink

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Deleted.

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous