cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drowned iPhone 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

My 16 year old daughter managed to drop her three month old iPhone 6 in the loo at a party last night (gah!!!).

She says it worked initially then the screen went zigzaggy & died. I've removed the sim (which was damp) and am drying the phone on a very low heat in my vegetable dessicator (I googled, better than the rice trick apparently).

I suspect the electricky bits are fried but is there any hope of repair?

Alternatively, she still has her old iPhone 5 - can her current account be transferred back to her old phone, will she need another sim?

Many thanks,

Exasperated Mother

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's kaput. Apple I believe do an exchange for around £150.

You can go into an o2 store if the sim is damaged too. They will give you a new one free and transfer the number and tariff. You can use the sim in any o2 or unlocked phone. 

Message 2 of 26

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's unlikely to ever work again I'm afraid. Just get a sim swap and revert back to the old phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 26

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Why why why do our children insist on taking their phones everywhere. Mind you it could just be a female trait...my wife takes her iphone absolutely everywhere. .....loo, shower etc....

Message 4 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Why why why do our children insist on taking their phones everywhere. Mind you it could just be a female trait...my wife takes her iphone absolutely everywhere. .....loo, shower etc....

They would feel naked without them, I remember a time when I had no such luxuries. It was called my childhood & the 80's when most of these new tech weren't even an imagination 

Message 5 of 26

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
That's a rubbish bit of news... Follow jonsie's advice a pal exchanged their iPhone that was drowned for I think £160 (don't quote me on the exact price though) and pop into O2 for a replacement sim as you may as well have the whole shebang as new imo!

Good luck, let us know what Apple say as it's good to know the exact info for future reference.

Charlie.
Message 6 of 26

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
OOW replacements are at Apple's discretion and is £236.44 for a 6
https://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone/repair/other/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all for your words of wisdom (sob).

Took the phone into the local O2 shop, sim card was working perfectly (O2 lady said they're fairly tough in terms of baptism by toilet etc).

Put in her old (slightly cracked screen after 3 replacements) iPhone 5 & it is working fine. (Her face isn't smiley atm however)......

Will try the apple shop next weekend but the phone wasn't insured so not holding my breath - this dead phone replacement will only apply to insured phones won't it??

Thank you again x
Message 8 of 26

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Will try the apple shop next weekend but the phone wasn't insured so not holding my breath - this dead phone replacement will only apply to insured phones won't it??

If they authorise it, you can hand the old one back and pay the £236.44 for a replacement.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 26

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Or you can pick up an xperia Z3 for around 200 quid now.
Waterproof and faster btw
Message 10 of 26