Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's
Anonymous

Don't Upgrade

At those prices there is no point in upgrading as in 12 months time there will be iPhone 3 and you will have to upgrade and sign another 18 month contract.

If the phone becomes radically different from the current one then it probably is worth upgrading.
Anonymous

Don't Upgrade

You mean for you it is not worth upgrading.....

For some who get lots of emails and like the iphone it is worth it, yes a nice discount would have been nice but for me going from 8-16gb and having 3g with gps is worth it.

Would you rather have a iphone that does everything and cost the world even tho you may not use half the stuff on it like stocks. At least this way you pay a basic price and will be able to add apps that you use keeping the memory for what you need and the price down....

I would also like to point out regardless of what network you are on, you dont always get the handset you like on an upgrade or for free... some make you take a high price plan or base it on your past monthly spends
Anonymous

Don't Upgrade

Its worth it for me I stay on my normal contract and make £140 on the re-sale of my old phone. Its worth it for any of us, and anyway if you'll stay on a contract until the 3rd gen iPhone then for most people it makes sense to upgrade.
Anonymous

Don't upgrade

Well if you have to keep paying 159 quid and be tied to an 18 month contract each time there is an upgrade just for the purpose of slighly faster browsing and little else especially when the PSP phone is on it's way and the Nokia N96 is out then I'd say hold off. For me it works out at around a grand a year for the iPhone. Pretty outrageous, for me anyway.
Anonymous

Don't Upgrade

Its all down to personal opinions, I will be upgrading simply because I use a lot of email and web access at work, and what with my company being on the beta testing of the exchange, I know its gonna work for emails, so I can get rid of the works blackberry and just use my iphone.
Anonymous

Don't Upgrade

Oh get a grips... and stop making this personal against the phone....

Its the network who are saying what they want to charge for the phone and call cost. As for a PSP phone how can you even talk about it, you dont know the specs or the cost. The £159 is for the fact it has 16gb HD, GPS as well as 3g these are not a minor improvement they are HUGE improvements... Until recently Vodafone was charging Hundreds for the N95 unless you took a big package and did it didnt give you an iphone touch feature or 16gb.

The o2 price plan is not unlike ones from say three, who by the way do not give full web access unlike o2. My blackberry on o2 is pants... and the fact you now get BT Openzone is an added bonus. One thing you can count on which you can not with the likes of nokia is... that should an issue arise with software you do not have to wait for a new version of the software... apple work and exceed in its software for its products and apple support... no other mobile offers a walk in service and a repair or replace like you get at an apple store or online... its called peace of mind.

Yes it is harsh that we did not or may not get a free upgrade but lets be honest we all knew that a 3g handset was around the corner and you still went and bought it... and yes I too think a new handset from apple will be out every 12 to 18 months and if it is as the same quality and standard... then I for one am happy to pay for it.

All new top range mobile are not free... and have to be on a high price plan... its not just apple or o2.

People have the choice if they want to upgrade....

You have to work out, do I need all the new functions, is it worth the upgrade and then make YOUR choice... you can not speak for everyone

Whilst I wish the iphone 3g was free it is business... and o2 are releasing people from their current iphone contract where you get less for your money for the new one...

Would you rather they hold everyone to a 17 month term before they can upgrade??

Rant over...
Anonymous

Don't Upgrade

I agree with most of what ippyboi says. 3 do, however provide complete internet access if you pay for it. They warn you that it's chargeable if you go outside the walled garden.. but even that's included if you're on an x-series plan.

Let's price up against an N95 on 3. Free phone, great... well, actually £15 a month on top of the voice and data plan...
for £33 you get a free 8gb phone, and 500 mins. No data outside the walled garden, and no Wifi.

Add Data, and it's £38.. add cloud and it's £45.

I'd still rather have the iPhone for free for £45 on an 18mo contract (and 700 more minutes/mo).

For a similar number of minutes on 3, it's £42 before adding data and cloud.

O2 are clearly not ripping people off.
Anonymous

Don't Upgrade

I am getting angry with people saying the iPhone or O2 are ripping people off.... Will all those who think this go and look at price plans on different networks. Having worked for o2, Carphone and At&t in the usa.... they all do it.

What people also forget its you are getting an iPod Touch as well as phone....

Three are the worst for charging for handsets when you upgrade or making you upgrade to a higher price plan.... I think real issue is people think that new contracts are getting a free handset or a cheaper handset when we had to pay for the first generation iphone... its not the price of the handset or the price of the plan... we all just want something for free....

As a loyal apple fan ( if you couldnt tell with all my post) I dont mind paying for a better made product... yes it would be nice to have a few extra features like MMS and Del reports... but for £159 you get.. a well made handset, excellent screen for browsing, GPS, Ipod Touch features, Access to itunes for music videos and now the apps store, Apple support and updates a walk in support service via apple at its stores.. I have everything apple.. Apple tv, imacs and a macbook pro not becuase its cheap or its trendy.. it peace of mind...its a solid build...( i was going to put its not microsoft...lol) we need to get over this issue as apple will no doubt update again in 12/18 months its what they do.... they are not nokia they dont use the same hardware just change it cosmetic wise... they update chips.. and the way it works...

o2, have given you a decent package, including unlimited surfing, free wifi at cloud and bt openzone and a chance to upgrade now.

You can bet if they give the phone away to everyone you would have to pay more to surf, no free wifi.... so eitherway your going to pay...
Anonymous

Don't upgrade

You are right I don’t know what the PSP phone will be like – I do know it will be gadget to have though due to the hype which let’s face it is the only reason we bought an iPhone in the first place.

No we did not know there would be a new phone…….Apple made no mention in the national press they would be releasing a 3G version In June. They made no mention they were even working on it.
As for Macs – well I don’t do much word processing so I’ve no need for one.
Apple TV – that died a death as far as I recall. I guess it was their answer to media centre.
Anonymous

Don't upgrade

Dear Ippiboy

The unlimited surfing, free wifi, etc. you mention are only free in the UK. If you use your iPhone in a free wifi zone abroad you are charged and the charges are very high. If I use my MBP in a free wifi zone abroad, I don't have to pay to download my emails or surf, DotMac (I am a member) doesn't charge me extra, it's all part of my sub, but if I use my iPhone, I get charged and get charged an awful lot so in my view, in fact, the use of the iPhone abroad becomes limited to just a mobile phone.