cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Jailbreaking void o2 contract?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Just wondering if jailbreaking my iPhone would void my o2 contract. I have no intention of pirating apps or performing unauthorised tethering.

Would jailbreaking void my contract or exclude me from o2 services in any way?

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rycal
Level 19: Quirky
  • 435 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 47 Solutions

Your contract? No.

Your warranty? Yes. Modifying the software of your phone is against the terms and conditions set by your operator and it can exclude you from such services as free repairs or support should anything go wrong with your phone.

I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Rycal
  • 435 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 47 Solutions

Your contract? No.

Your warranty? Yes. Modifying the software of your phone is against the terms and conditions set by your operator and it can exclude you from such services as free repairs or support should anything go wrong with your phone.

I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and welcome to the Community Forum,

If you read what apple say its.......

"Apple strongly cautions against installing any software that hacks iOS. It is also important to note that unauthorized modification of iOS is a violation of the iOS end-user software license agreement and because of this, Apple may deny service for an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that has installed any unauthorized software."

So if you ever need to go to Apple for a repair or diagnostic all you do is hook up to itunes and restore which removes the jail break, although at present doing this would push you to iOS 6.1.3 or 6.1.4 if your using an iphone 5.

Rendering an iphone 4s or iphone 5 non jail breakable.

02 dont care what you do with your iphone.

They would be bothered with you tethering using a tweak instead of paying for tethering as part of your bundle.

My iphone 5 is jail broken and ive had little issue.

As long as you do your homework on what it is, can achieve and how to rectify any glitches you'll be fine.

MacRumors holds a lot of useful information and threads on the subject.

I pay for all my tweaks too and keep away from the naughty repo's.

Feel free to ask me for any further help on the subject.

Message 3 of 7

Rycal
  • 435 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 47 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

02 dont care what you do with your iphone.

While we wont come knocking on your door at night if you do it, it can have an adverse affect on your phone if you modify the device without fully understanding what you are doing and if you cannot (as you suggest) restore the firmware then you may find yourself with an out-of-warranty charge to fix any issues with the phone.

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rycal wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

02 don't care what you do with your iphone.

While we wont come knocking on your door at night if you do it, it can have an adverse affect on your phone if you modify the device without fully understanding what you are doing and if you cannot (as you suggest) restore the firmware then you may find yourself with an out-of-warranty charge to fix any issues with the phone.

The only issue i've come across with not being able to restore via tunes is people playing around with their baseband of the older 3g phones.

I've jail-broken from the iphone 4 to the 4s and 5 without issue because I've taken the time to learn, and to always use the official jail break tool.

Now mobile substrate has been added to Cydia if a tweak causes issues one can just press the up volume switch whilst re springing which pushes the iphone into safe mode allowing for the deletion of the tweak causing compatibility issues.

Again doing your homework on a tweak before downloading it negates the need in most cases to this level anyway.

I once took my iphone into an 02 shop and the guru needed to use it to pull a code from it and was intrigued by how my jail broken iphone looked !

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and thanks for all the answers.

I'm aware that jailbreaking voids the Apple 1 year warranty, but unless I'm mistaken a few people seem to be referring to some type of o2 warranty that is broken - I haven't taken out any specific warranty/insurance plan, so is there a type of 'o2 warranty' associated with my contract?

Thanks again for any help.

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi and thanks for all the answers.

I'm aware that jailbreaking voids the Apple 1 year warranty, but unless I'm mistaken a few people seem to be referring to some type of o2 warranty that is broken - I haven't taken out any specific warranty/insurance plan, so is there a type of 'o2 warranty' associated with my contract?

Thanks again for any help.

If you took in your iphone to an 02 shop for repair they would simply send it off to Apple.

I always advise users that if an issue does arise then take the handset into an Apple Store after making an appointment as Apple typically swap out the handset for a mint refurb or new one.

The warranty is for 1 year.

You can check the status of your warranty here :

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

This is from 02's website.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),CASE=18704

All iPhones come with a one year limited manufacturer's warranty. If your iPhone experiences technical issues within a year of purchase then it must be returned to the point of sale with a valid proof of purchase to enable repair, replacement or a refund if necessary. 

If you have an iPhone 5, or have purchased an iPhone 4 or iPhone 4s online or via O2 telesales on or after 8th October 2012 and up to and including 14th February 2013, you will need to return your handset to a Carphone Warehouse store.

Message 7 of 7