cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data roaming

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I have incurred £20.98 in international data charges despite disabling data roaming ever since I left the uk 3 days ago for a holiday in Jamaica. This was for Sunday just gone. Any ideas why this should happen. I have a iPhone 6 and have turned off data roaming because I get free wifi at the hotel. I can't work out why I have these charges.
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I believe it depends on the configuration of the network you are connected to.
Years ago I used to travel to Germany regularly and never had a problem connecting to data, but then I went to Italy and couldn't get a data connection. I then found the data roaming switch on my phone at the time and got data in Italy, but it was never required to be on in Germany at all.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You need mobile data off completely.
Just turning off data roaming doesn't always work.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok thanks for that. Disappointed because all the advice states, to just turning off data roaming on the phone and you won't incur charges. I need to understand how it slips through the data roaming switch when it's off.
Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I believe it depends on the configuration of the network you are connected to.
Years ago I used to travel to Germany regularly and never had a problem connecting to data, but then I went to Italy and couldn't get a data connection. I then found the data roaming switch on my phone at the time and got data in Italy, but it was never required to be on in Germany at all.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok so on the 26th June as per MI5's reply, I turned off mobile data as well as data roaming on my iPhone 6. Guess what? I still incurred data charges for the 28th & 29th!!!
I have 24 hour free wifi at my hotel in Jamaica. Have I got to remove my SIM card
before these charges stop. So angry 😡😡
Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You shouldn't have done so I suggest you call customer services so they can investigate for you.
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6