cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAta

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why has my data run out? It has never run out before in the 3 years i have had the contract

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144208 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You need to check the phone settings to see what app has used your data first.
Facebook, Instagram etc auto play videos which can use a lot.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Spigot
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

HS4, I too have been having this issue since I got my June bill.  Before then I very rarely used much more than half of my 1Gb allowance.  I know 1Gb is not huge but it suited me and as I never really got near it I was happy.  Since June my allowance has been used up before I am halfway through each month, and yet I use the phone in exactly the same way, with most usage on WiFi at home or at work.

I had a long online conversation with a Guru last night but all they wanted me to do was check WiFi assist ( Yes, it is still off) and turn off Mobile Data totally (so everytime I leave the office I have to remember to switch it back on again or I will not get the email with the shopping list from home !!!!!) 

Is that seriously the best way to deal with this, switch it off, then on....then off....then on again...oh hang on I have a wifi signal..let me turn mobile data off again!!!

Anybody else know of a better solution? I have turned off auto-play video in FB and Twitter, I have removed a weather App that may have been constantly updating dependent on location (?) and I have stopped all notifications except for emails. I only have apps using my location when I am "using the app".  Not sure what else to do??

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144208 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
So which apps are now using the most data and how much?
There's no need to keep turning data off and on at all if everything is behaving.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Spigot
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MI5, thanks for response. I am waiting to reset everything on the 15 Oct as my monthly allowance ends then, and monitor the next months worth to see what is hogging my data. Lthough my plan is slightly flawed as I have turned off so many apps and stuff that I’m not sure what’s what at the moment. The annoying thing is that everything was fine up until June, then all of a sudden it hogged my data!! Not sure what app or iOS update happened around then but it has started using the data a huge amount. I agree that the off/on thing should not be needed but that was the Gurus suggestion!!!! Thanks again.
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144208 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Let us know how it goes as I and some others have noticed rapid data loss for no reason, hence all the questions from me wink

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35810 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Twitter app defaults to playing any video you're looking at in your time line, I turn that sucker right off in the app... Sure there are others. WhatsApp is another good candidate. And the new videophone apps from Google and others can make a nice dent in data allowances... Auto-updates are another biggie. Good luck tracking it down, if you find your phone's biggie, please share it here!

Message 7 of 8

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous, welcome to our forum! Did you manage to find anything out in your phone settings as suggested above by MI5?

@Spigot good luck with monitoring the data usage - let us know how you get on! slight_smile

Message 8 of 8