cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges whilst in Canada

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve just received a phone bill after returning from vacation in Canada. I had signed up for O2 travel (thankfully) but didn’t think I’d made use of it since I had data roaming switched off and only connected to the the internet via Wi-fi. However, on my bill there are random daily charges for £4.99. 

I was told that this was because connection via some wi-fi providers may incur a charge, but I didn’t use anything other than ‘free’ Wi-fi services. There’s some reference to this in the O2 help pages but I’m still not clear about it. Is this right? Does it mean, going forward, that to avoid any charges I need to turn my phone off? How can I know when the Wi-fi Service will be genuinely free?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

O2 travel will kick in for making or receiving calls and texts too (receiving charges if over the 120 allowance), not just using data.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2travel-paymonthly-terms-and-conditions

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

O2 travel will kick in for making or receiving calls and texts too (receiving charges if over the 120 allowance), not just using data.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2travel-paymonthly-terms-and-conditions

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

It really is a challenge keeping on top of what might, or might not, result in a charge, or trigger an automatic fee, when travelling.  Good summary, @MI5!thumbsup

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, it certainly pays to make sure all the ins and outs are fully understood, just in case . Especially since the changes this summer.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions
I recently had this happen to me over in Canada - one solitary charge of £4.99 because I did an iOS update and for some reason it re-activated the data roaming setting. Soon fixed that but otherwise I was connecting to various free wifi places without being charged.
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply MI5. I'm still missing something though.  I didn't go over the 120 limit and the guidance you linked says that O2 travel won't kick in if that's the case.  I'm certain I didn't have data roaming on anywhere, but there were a couple of calls and some texts.  What I don't get is why the the £4.99 charges were so random i.e. for only part of the vacation.

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Those couple of calls and texts (outgoing) will invoke the charge unfortunately.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7