cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for emoticons

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it true that O2 are now charging MMS fees for using emoticons in texts?
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
No that's only 0800 and 0808 free phone numbers
Message 21 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Argh Thank you Damien1.

I was going off memory and knew I had heard something. I remember now that many companies will have to move from 0845 and 0870 (except financial companies I think) as the Government doesn't think it is right for consumers to have to pay to contact service providers.

Companies will have to offer 03 numbers or geographic numbers instead.
Message 22 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Don't want to go off topic but voda also do £3.00 a month for 300 mins to 0845/0870 something I would jump at if O2 would only offer it

I had that one as well.  While I'm happier with O2 I wish they did something like this.  I use an app but it doesn't always recognise the numbers.

Message 23 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Off topic but if I could get rid of my landline (I only have it so I can have broadband as virgin won't be here for centuries) then I would happily pay a lil more for 0845 and 0870.

Also wish mms were out of data allowance.
Message 24 of 29

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

This thread has been moderated once already for being off topic and it's still going on!

The problem is that when someone comes and searches the forum for problems about being charged for emoticons, they will find a thread about something else.

It's much simpler if you just start a new topic.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 25 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Accepted Perksie but not just me lol.

I will check threads tomorrow and if no one has raised it I will start a new off topic discussion. You are right and I agree yet again with you.
Message 26 of 29

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I didn't name anyone.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 27 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Is it true that O2 are now charging MMS fees for using emoticons in texts?

I daily use Emoji emoticons in my texts and I have never been charged.

Also, I regularly send a message to multiple people (in one go) and I've never been charged either for doing this.

I think the reason some people are getting charged is they have inadvertently entered the emoticons in the subject field. Entering text, emoticons in here will turn your text message into a MMS message and will charge you for a MMS message (unless you have a MMS bolt on).

I use the Emoji emoticons keyboard, which has been built into iOS since iOS 6.

Have a watch of this video guide I made, which covers how to switch on and use the Emoji keyboard. This guide shows how to do it on iOS 6, but it should be the same for iOS 7.

To turn off the subject field for messages (this stops the possibility of entering text, emoticons in the subject field and incurring MMS charges) you do the following:

1: Go into Settings.

2: Scroll down till you see Messages, touch this.

3: Scroll down till you see the SMS/MMS section. In there you will see "SHOW SUBJECT FIELD" you need to turn this off.

After doing this, the subject field will be turned off and so is the possibility of inadvertently entering text, emoticons in the subject field and incurring MMS charges.

Message 28 of 29

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Great vid Fatboy!

I'll be closing this thread now. Lots of advice has been handed out and Fatboy's video finishes off the advice nicely.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 29 of 29