cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot unlock phone as IMEI apparently isn't registered on O2 System

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I've been trying to unlock my iPhone SE for a week now. I've made multiple requests and some have been escalated. 

Everytime, O2 tell me that the phone is not yet registered on their system and I need to make more calls etc, so the IMEI gets registered and then I can unlock.

I've had the phone for a week now so surely it should be on the system by now? How long does it usually take?

Thanks

Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'd call CS and explain the error and see what they can do to help - it might just need a kick to get it going.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Check in your MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 and see if it shows the correct device and IMEI number in there.
It shouldn't take more than a few days at most to update.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply. It gives me an error when browsing to this section in O2, so I guess it's all related.

Anyway I can get O2 to do something about it, or is it a matter of waiting?
Message 3 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'd call CS and explain the error and see what they can do to help - it might just need a kick to get it going.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just did. Was on hold for 20 mins then they came back and said there's nothing showing on their system for this iPhone under this number. Apparently I have to wait longer, although it sounds like they are just fobbing me off because they have no idea.
Message 5 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, they are fobbing you off.
Make a complaint and someone might be bothered to help you http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Currently using:
Message 6 of 21

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

So what sometimes happens is that o2 system gets stuck and doesn't always read the IMEI of the phone correctly

its happened to me and other people I know but hopefully the fix that worked for me and everyone else will work for you. The fix I was told by some one in the industry.  

if you have another handset, place the sim in the other handset for about 30 mins.  Make one call and send 1 SMS,  this makes a transaction on the system.

place the SIM card back in your iPhone and again make one call and send one SMS.

the call must last longer than 1 min,  so 61 seconds is fine.

Then go to my o2 app and after a couple of hours your phone will show and then You can request it to be unlocked. 

I can can assure you that if o2 can't see it on there system and my o2 isn't displaying it correctly then they are telling the truth.  

If if you don't have another handset.  

Turn the the iPhone off and leave it off for min 15 mins.  Then switch it on and make a call again for over 61 seconds and send one SMS.  Not iMessage. The phone should then show in a couple of hours on my o2.  Use data as well if you can and have an allowance. 

The Issue stems from switching on the phone and it not been seen correctly on o2 system.

hope this helps. 

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks will try this
Message 8 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I don't get anywhere is it worth getting a PAYG sim, registering the phone on this account and paying the fee to unlock? I'm not fussed about the fee as I just want to get it unlocked asap.

Message 9 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Any way at all you can get the IMEI showing on the system will get you further towards getting it unlocked.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 21