cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive calls from some numbers

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can receive calls, but not from some numbers. My closest friend usually cannot ring me, though he can text me. Random numbers can also not ring me - inconvenient when it's a delivery driver with a notification or query. I've tried going in to an O2 shop with my friend: we were told it must be the his network. We then go into an EE shop, where we are told the problem must be with O2. Understandable that networks want to pass the buck, but not at all helpful. I just want to reliably receive calls. Is it O2? Is it my phone (an iPhone 4S)? Many thanks for any insights.

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

A number of things to try as you need to do a little fault finding.

First check your postcode for any network faults : Service Status

Try cleaning the sim and rebooting the phone.

If possible try your sim in another phone.

Your local O2 store will replace the sim free of charge if necessary.

Also look here :

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Self-help-guide-Is-the-network-down-for-me-or-e...

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/self-help-guide-for-network-problems

Message 2 of 44

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Quite surprised that the O2 store you went into didnt swap the sim for you... to at least try and eliminate that as a possibility? slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 44

chrisymon
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 134 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Have you  migrated this number.?

"I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited." Currently using S7 edge
Message 4 of 44

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Good call @chrisymon. With an iPhone, if the number linked to the SIM has been changed due to a port/migration or simple number change you also need to update your number in the settings, otherwise it can cause calls to go amiss similarly to how you describe @Anonymous.

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 5 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you jonsie. This has been going on for more than a year and at many locations. If I were unable to receive any calls then I would blame a network outage, but it's only some numbers and sometimes some of those numbers CAN get through. It seems sometimes as though I've blocked the problem numbers but I haven't. 

Message 6 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting, thank you. Do you mean changed the number during the life of the SIM? If so, no, unless attributing my old pre-iPhone number to an iPhone upon purchase counts. Where in the settings should I check for the number parity?

I shall also try going back to an O2 shop and insist on better assistance. Many thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 44

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Settings> Phone> My number> check correct there

Also check settings> Phone> Call blocking & identification> for any blocked numbers

Also are imessages working etc

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 44

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Could this be down to the iPhone specific tariff @adamtemp64 ? I know it's usually data that's affected with this, but could call function be affected also?
Message 9 of 44

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@gindygoo not as far as I know as the apn's only relate to data

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 10 of 44