cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can get e mails on data but not on wifi

Anonymous
Not applicable

in Spain for several weeks with an iPhone 6 and iPad. I turned mobile data and data roaming off and purchased wifi where we are staying. I can access the wifi on both devices although a bit patchy and slow. I cannot get any mail to download on my iPhone and on iPad can get mail from one of my e mail accounts but not the main one.  I have tried at a local cafe on their wifi with same result, no mail just keeps spinning or says cannot connect to server please check settings. I have  since bought a Spanish sim to use for data on my iPad so I can get my e mails. While in the shop he was able to download all my mail without any changes. Does the wifi have to be of a sufficient speed to use e mail, surely it can't be the settings as it works on data and did on his internet shop wifi. Help appreciated. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't think so as have 2 e mail accounts. When I originally posted question I couldn't get either on phone and only 1 on iPad.   On wifi in shop he got both on phone. Didn't try iPad. Tonight I got both on wifi on phone ?? Stronger signal tonig but only 1 on iPad so suspect setting for other is wrong

Message 11 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have never had any email provider block access to my accounts whilst abroad. I have used hotmail, gmail and bt internet. I have a laptop I keep in Spain which was set up in UK and it runs off my Wifi with no problem. Even back in the day, before I had my own Wifi.... I used a Dongle with an Orange ES sim for my netbook . I had no connection problems whatsoever...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 13

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Yeah, thought was a long shot, but I know I can only access my work email at home using the company laptop and data card.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 13 of 13