cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can get e mails on data but not on wifi

Anonymous
Not applicable

in Spain for several weeks with an iPhone 6 and iPad. I turned mobile data and data roaming off and purchased wifi where we are staying. I can access the wifi on both devices although a bit patchy and slow. I cannot get any mail to download on my iPhone and on iPad can get mail from one of my e mail accounts but not the main one.  I have tried at a local cafe on their wifi with same result, no mail just keeps spinning or says cannot connect to server please check settings. I have  since bought a Spanish sim to use for data on my iPad so I can get my e mails. While in the shop he was able to download all my mail without any changes. Does the wifi have to be of a sufficient speed to use e mail, surely it can't be the settings as it works on data and did on his internet shop wifi. Help appreciated. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It sounds like a poor insecure connection over the wifi you were trying.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Doesn't look like you're getting your money's worth for the WiFi you've paid for.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I found WiFi in Spain very slow when I was there in December. Lots of people having the same problem regardless of who supplied it. Only one internet cafe in the area was problem free. I spoke with friends today who say it is slightly better in my area....I can only hope so. I found myself having to sign out and then back into Wifi constantly to kick it back to a reasonable speed. ...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for replies. Amazingly when I went onto wifi tonight on phone I was able to get Meyer mails from both accounts. Still no joy on ipadwithmain account but that is looking like may be a different problem as it won't work using the Spanish sim either. I noticed that the server port setting was different on this account on iPad but I can't change it just get a message saying server not responding when I try to verify it.
Message 5 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

A friend of mine had a similar problem with her iPad using a Spanish sim. She took it into the local mobile phone shop and they reconfigured the settings for her so she could use it....No idea what they actually did but that may be an option to think about?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's working ok on sim, I thought...?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
That is my next plan as that is where I bought the Spanish sim. He set it up and tested it on Internet access not e mail. Checked e mail on my phone on his wifi. Onward and upward!
Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Ah, I see....

Currently using:
Message 9 of 13

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Could your email provider be blocking access on account of you being on a strange network overseas. Are you accessing business emails or just live Hotmail / Gmail
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 10 of 13