cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling All iPhone 5s/5c owners. I need your help !

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calling for help off all you iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c owners.

I really need your help in my dilemma at being near my time to upgrade to the next iPhone.

My History :

I have used various iPhones and my current handset is the iPhone 5 16gb Black-Slate, which I've been using for nearly a year on the o2 Network, and now am very interested in upgrading to one of the new iPhones.

What I'm asking from all you early adopters of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, is to please give me an honest, real life user review of how you are finding your new iPhone.

Your Reviews on ;

• What is the battery life like for you, and how does it handle iOS7.
  • Is the iPhone 5s really snappier than the iPhone 5 ,with its new a7 chip.
  • How does the iPhone 5c handle. is it sturdy with the plastic shell.
  • Is the Camera and its functions better.
  • In true life what is the Touch ID like. Is it hit and miss or accurate.
  • What is 4G like on the new iPhone.
  • What colour and capacity did you opt for and why.
  • What handset did you upgrade from and how does your new handset compare.

As I'm going to be using the iPhone on the o2 Network I need you guys and gals to tell me how it really is.

Really looking forward to your frank and honest reviews.

Thank you in advance.

Lee.

iphone 5s:5c.jpeg

Message 1 of 98
97 REPLIES 97

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@davethorp

I've always tended to opt for the 16gb but I am thinking of going for the next capacity up this time. I may go for the 32gb this time round, as most of my music for commuting is on my iPodTouch. Do you think you'll fill up the 64GB just as quick ?

Why do you have to re scan your finger print ? Does it fail and you have to delete your scan and try again ? Do you feel its accurate and something you will be using regularly ? Do you feel that the iPhone 5s is a worthy upgrade to the iphone 5 ?

I've currently used more or less half of my capacity so 32GB would be a struggle for me. I do have every photograph I have ever taken since 2006 synced to my phone and as I'm a photography student and have been for two years you can imagine that is a lot of photographs. I probably could manage with 32GB but I would have to reduce the number of apps installed and probably only sync selected photographs

It occasionally doesn't recognise my print and asks me to try again. This only happens occasionally though. The vast majority of the time it will recognise my prints just fine. I have the maximum number of prints registered with the phone (both thumbs, both forefingers and my right middle finger). I do use it regularly to unlock my phone and have even tried to use it on my other half's iPhone 5 without success obviously!

I've owned and upgraded to every iPhone since the iPhone 3G (excluding the iPhone 5C obviously). This is probably the most minor upgrade in terms of spec and the handset feeling different to the previous one although that wont be helped as I normally alternate colours to make the handset seem more different whereas this time due to stock reasons I went for the same colour as my 5

Message 21 of 98

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @davethorp.

I really appreciate your help.

As you can imagine at £549 I want to be very sure of my outlay and all this info will very definitely help me along with my final decision.

WoW...... Photo's saved since 2006.

Lots of memories captured I assume.

Being a photography student I take it you have used all the new specs of the camera on the iPhone 5s. Does it perform well as a camera ?

The bigger capacity this time is certainly sound better and better.

I was looking at the new leather cases for the iPhone 5s from Apple at £35 which would add different colours to the mix.

Message 22 of 98

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
You've no idea what you're missing wink

I'll take your word for it....    tongue

I can assure you, you are on the right platform wink

Good grief Smiley Indifferent

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 98

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Thank you @davethorp.

As you can imagine at £549 I want to be very sure of my outlay and all this info will very definitely help me along with my final decision.

Being a photography student I take it you have used all the new specs of the camera on the iPhone 5s. Does it perform well as a camera ?

I was looking at the new leather cases for the iPhone 5s from Apple at £35 which would add different colours to the mix.

Yeah a lot of memories given my kids were born in 2006 and 2008 so there's lots of pics from around then although the majority of the pictures will be ones I've taken at college or for college projects the last couple of years

I haven't actually used the camera on the 5S much besides yesterday when I had to take a picture of a bookies I'd mystery shopped. I got a new DSLR last week as well (canon 70d) so that's taken the bulk of my pictures lately. Been putting my student overdraft to good use with all these new gadgets Smiley Very Happy

I've got the black leather case. I have noticed that the phone will pop out of it ever so slightly and need pushing back in but it does look very nice as you would expect from Apple. I'm not 100% certain how well it would protect the phone from a drop but I have AppleCare+ on my 5S so I'm not as concerned over accidental damage as I normally would be

Message 24 of 98

Anonymous
Not applicable

Each to their own.

I love the banter and defensiveness between user choice on Phones and Platform.

Smiley Very Happy

Message 25 of 98

Anonymous
Not applicable

@davethorp wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Thank you @davethorp.

Yeah a lot of memories given my kids were born in 2006 and 2008 so there's lots of pics from around then although the majority of the pictures will be ones I've taken at college or for college projects the last couple of years

I haven't actually used the camera on the 5S much besides yesterday when I had to take a picture of a bookies I'd mystery shopped. I got a new DSLR last week as well (canon 70d) so that's taken the bulk of my pictures lately. Been putting my student overdraft to good use with all these new gadgets Smiley Very Happy

I've got the black leather case. I have noticed that the phone will pop out of it ever so slightly and need pushing back in but it does look very nice as you would expect from Apple. I'm not 100% certain how well it would protect the phone from a drop but I have AppleCare+ on my 5S so I'm not as concerned over accidental damage as I normally would be

Does the case offer a raised edge to protect the screen if you laid it face down ?

Yeah good to see your using your overdraft to good use.  wink

And a big thumbs up for applying Apple Care +

How long have we Uk users been waiting for this !!

Message 26 of 98

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Does the case offer a raised edge to protect the screen if you laid it face down ?

I have the SPIgen Slim Armor S case on a black 5S. Have to admit it looks & feels very good, and has a slightly raised edge, maybe 1 to 1.5mm.

Message 27 of 98

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the battery life like for you, and how does it handle iOS7.   

Charged mid-day Wednesday, out for two hours that day so used phone as much as I could while sitting on a bus and wandering stores.  Didn’t charge again till around 11.30 on Thursday at which point the battery was 67%.  Charged to 100%, was out from 16.30 yesterday – used data on 4G which was faster than it would have been on my 5, no calls made and was at a function so made as much discrete use as I could of e-mail, facebook and twitter.  Took some photos (not great but was on the roof of New Zealand House and it was raining but I feel the distance pictures I took were better than I would have achieved on the 5).  Home late, used the phone to check internet when I got home rather than boot PC – ditto this morning.  It’s now 24 hours since last charge and it shows 75%.  The useage I gave it was roughly the equivalent to how I would have used my phone on a work day and my 5 would definitely have gone well below 50% in a 24 hour period with that usage.

Is the iPhone 5s really snappier than the iPhone 5 ,with its new a7 chip.  Definitely feels so to me,  I  opened a mail with a 3 mb picture attachment, picture downloaded in less than a second whereas on the 5 probably 20 seconds or more.

How does the iPhone 5c handle. is it sturdy with the plastic shell.  NA

Is the Camera and its functions better.  As mentioned in my battery life comment. 

In true life what is the Touch ID like. Is it hit and miss or accurate.   Not using at the moment  so can’t comment – I’m doing a lot of decorating work in my flat which then means washing hands and hand cream to soothe and feel that may interfere with reading my fingerprints so will activate that once I’ve finished the work.

What is 4G like on the new iPhone.   Happy with it.  In my flat good reception in one room, poor in another.  In areas of London I know to be 4G pretty good, slight drop whilst stuck on a bus in the city yesterday but not surprised as it was a heavily built up area with narrow streets  and plenty of scaffolding around.  Around the Tower and once past Bank it was fabulously fast.

What colour and capacity did you opt for and why.   Grey 64Gb.  Grey because I prefer black, plus most people cannot work out that I have replaced my existing phone as it looks pretty much like the old one.  64 Gb because I can easily fill most of that capacity with films, music, books and apps.  I had the 180 GB iPod and it was difficult dropping to a 32 Gb iPod Touch when that was all that was available. 

What handset did you upgrade from and how does your new handset compare.  Black 64 Gb 5, virtually identical in looks but I wanted the 4G speed here in London.  To be honest, if I’d not been made redundant a few months ago and had money sitting in the bank I probably would have stuck with the 5 until the iPhone 6 release but I am glad I made the decision to upgrade. 

I was also able to continue using the clear Gear4 case I had on my 5 - the 5S is a tiny tiny bit shorter than the 5 which I only notice when I connect the cable and feel a slight movement.  The camera/flash aperture on this case was cut wide enough to deal with the larger flash on the 5S but I suspect some models where only little circles were cut out will not be compatible.  The case has a slight rim which protects most of the phone, the only damage that had occurred to my existing iPhone 5 was a very minimal, barely noticeable, loss of colour on the sloping edge above the cable connector and three even smaller dots of missingcolour by the off switch.

Message 28 of 98

Anonymous
Not applicable
@beegee
Thank you the idea of an alternative case idea. I'll have to take a look on their website. Not too expensive ?

@Daw
Your iPhone 5s must have a nuclear reactor in it instead of a battery. I'm happy with one days use right now out of my iPhone 5. Of course I take into account usage patterns are different. 4G does sound like its worth the outlay for it. Can't wait till it comes out on payg.

I hope the touch I.d works ok for you. From others reviews it sounds spot on.

I know what you mean about others not knowing that you have upgraded. I'm a bit past street cred now and just want what the new iPhone can bring to the table.

I'm more and more moving away from the iPhone 5c and looking to the iPhone 5s. It doesn't seem many have opted for the 5c model.

Thank you so much for your review.
I really appreciate your time.
Message 29 of 98

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
You've no idea what you're missing wink

I'll take your word for it....    tongue

I can assure you, you are on the right platform wink

Good grief Smiley Indifferent

It's the truth wink

Android will never be as slick as iOS...ever, unless they re-write it from the ground up.

The Android market is too open, far too much junk and malware on there.

Etc... tongue

Message 30 of 98