cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying an iPhone locked to O2 - not clear on what I need to do.

rapzeh
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all, 

I'm purchasing an iPhone XS which is locked to O2. On various forums and websites I read that all I need to do to unlock the phone and use it on Vodafone (my network) was simply to put my Vodafone sim card in from my old phone, connect it to iTunes, change a setting on the iPhone and voila. It should work.

However, I just wanted to double-check in case it is not that simple. I have never had or used an O2 simcard before, nor have I ever used O2 services. 

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@rapzeh 

An XS should not be locked, but if it is, you need O2 to unlock it first for you https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@rapzeh 

An XS should not be locked, but if it is, you need O2 to unlock it first for you https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 12

rapzeh
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well that is where I get confused. All the instructions follow the format of being an O2 customer, which I am not and have never been. 

Having said that - what do you mean by an XS should not be locked? The seller didn't explicitly tell me that the phone was locked but he did say it was "only on the O2 network", which I assumed to mean that the phone was locked. If iPhone XS' can't be locked to O2, then this problem is void in the first place and it must have just been a miscommunication. 

Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
O2 no longer sell locked phones. They are all unlocked since September this year..
The XS was only launched in October and should, therefore, be unlocked.
IF you do encounter a locked phones, it needs to be unlocked following the process in the link, but this can be done by the seller before buying it to save you having to obtain an O2 sim for the process.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 12

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Are you buying the phone privately or from a reputable retailer?

Be very careful if the seller is unknown to you.

Message 5 of 12

rapzeh
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm purchasing the phone privately through an advert on Facebook marketplace. I've purchased phones before and haven't had a problem - although, having said that, I've always previously purchased phones that I knew to be unlocked. 

EDIT: He has just messaged me and told me explicitly that it is "locked" to O2. If this isn't possible - should I have anything to worry about? It's possible because he purchased it from O2 he's assuming it's locked when it really isn't. Thanks for the help so far from everyone. 

Message 6 of 12

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
If they are so sure, just ask them to request the unlock from O2,
If they refuse, be suspicious.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 12

rapzeh
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I assumed it wouldn't be a scam because it's still sealed and has never been opened. It had crossed my mind briefly, though. I've asked them to unlock the phone regardless - or at least give it a go - just to see what they say.

Thanks for the help everyone. 

Message 9 of 12

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
As long as they have the IMEI number, they can make a claim on their insurance at a later date which will result in your phone being barred and they get a brand new phone, plus your money!

Currently using:
Message 10 of 12