cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought a 2nd hand iPhone 6 on O2 - unlocking options

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I just bought a 2nd hand iPhone 6 from a work colleague. The previous owner has an O2 monthly contract and has upgraded so the phone was surplus to requirements.

My daughter is on a sim-only contract with 6 months to run on EE - the phone is for her.

The previous owner looked at getting the phone unlocked before I bought it, by taking it to an independent phone shop, but said it'd cost about £35 and take 5 to 7 working days to get done.

I just bought it, rather than pay that fee and wait for the 5 to 7 working days.

I saw this link:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SI...

Which says:

If you have a monthly contract it is free to get your phone unlocked......

Any phone can be unlocked (with the exception of the iPhone immediately after launch - see website for details of when these can be unlocked).
If you want to unlock a phone you have stopped using, all you need to do is submit this form

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Taking care to enter the correct details. Pay attention in particular to the security question as this is the most common cause of failure.

I wondered if that is all the previous owner has to do then - fill the form in above?

She is still an O2 customer - she has a more up to date iPhone  - I just wanted reassurance that if she unlocked her old phone, that doing so would not risk messing up her existing setup with her new iPhone?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, ask her to submit the form using the imei number of the phone to be unlocked and it should go through ok.
Once you get confirmation just put the EE sim in it - no need to pay £35 for an unlock from anywhere else.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, ask her to submit the form using the imei number of the phone to be unlocked and it should go through ok.
Once you get confirmation just put the EE sim in it - no need to pay £35 for an unlock from anywhere else.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great - many thanks. 

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I'm surprised your colleague didn't do it previously - it would have added value to the phone, so your gain there too slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4