cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BACKING UP iPhone 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had my iphone 6 for three months and have been backing it up connected to iTunes I believed to be sufficient.  Now I get regular messages telling me I should back up the cell to iCloud connected to the Mac when switched off.

Do I really need to do this?  One thing connected to this is my understanding I pay for what I save on iCloud and would wish to avoid this if possible.

Thank you in anticpation of anybody is able to answer this.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
As you said Adam, "I only use the free 5gb storage for a few minor things"
If everything is checked it will fill up quickly, surely. I know my wife's and Daughters does.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 20

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Nothing other than an extra backup and I guess iCloud is more convenient that actually plugging into iTunes everyday?

Except it is not a full backup as explained here https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204136 used to be more indepth though But content you create ie your music needs a restore from itunes etc

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 12 of 20

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Useful link, thanks slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
To: MI5; adamtemp64; lovemyphone. Many thanks for prompt, helpful replies that with chat between yourselves copied to me amounted to thirteen posts to read. At first I thought I had one email duplicated 12 times but not so. Bottom line is I know where I stand and very much appreciate the assistance provided and encouraged to do so again. OldDrummer
Message 14 of 20

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It was a useful learning thread for us all slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 15 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to hear @Anonymous i also learnt a few bits in this thread too 

Message 16 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have had my iphone 6 for three months and have been backing it up connected to iTunes I believed to be sufficient.  Now I get regular messages telling me I should back up the cell to iCloud connected to the Mac when switched off.

Do I really need to do this?  One thing connected to this is my understanding I pay for what I save on iCloud and would wish to avoid this if possible.

Thank you in anticpation of anybody is able to answer this.

While iCloud is useful for somethings (backing up contacts been just one feature I find useful), I normally back my iPhone up with iTunes. The reason for this is iTunes backs up EVERYTHING on you iPhone (including settings) whereas iCloud doesn't. iCloud is useful if you don't have a computer and want to backup your iPhone or want a secondary backup, restoring an iPhone from an iTunes backup is the most thorougher and comprehensive method of restoring an iPhone (for example if you get a new iPhone).

You get 5GB of iCloud storage free and also not everything uses your iCloud storage, such as photos. If you need more iCloud storage, you simply choose the amount you think you will need and this costs you a certain amount per month. If you run out of space, you can choose the next storage size up or delete some stuff to free up some space.

Message 17 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Fatboy.
Thank you so much for the comprehensive reply that is clear and exactly what I needed. I will therefore continue to backup to iTunes as you point out is cost free and suits my needs exactly. So, as I am reluctant (inexperienced) to interfere with settings will simply delete the pop-up iCloud warning whenever it appears. Having read much of what you have written helping so many over the years you are to be congratulated on your extensive knowledge and willingness to impart that to people like me me.
Message 18 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello Fatboy.
Thank you so much for the comprehensive reply that is clear and exactly what I needed. I will therefore continue to backup to iTunes as you point out is cost free and suits my needs exactly. So, as I am reluctant (inexperienced) to interfere with settings will simply delete the pop-up iCloud warning whenever it appears. Having read much of what you have written helping so many over the years you are to be congratulated on your extensive knowledge and willingness to impart that to people like me me.

Thanks very much for the kind words slight_smile

Message 19 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
The very least one can do.
Message 20 of 20