Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch

Matt6
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When will O2 be able to supply the Apple Watch?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122373 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Matt6There re no plans for O2 to stock this watch currently

This article explains why https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/when-will-apple-watch-3-lte-come-o2-3664181/

Why can't O2 offer Apple Watch data plans?

The first thing to mention is that this isn't some sort of artificially created exclusive sweetheart deal set up between EE and Apple - there is, according to EE and corroborated by one other provider, a concrete technological reason why that provider is the only one capable of handling the Apple Watch in the UK.

An EE spokesperson told us that "EE is the only UK network that has the capability to 'share' a number across a hard SIM (in the phone) and the Apple e-SIM (in the watch)."

At present this isn't something O2 can offer - so it isn't simply a question of waiting for an exclusivity deal to expire.

Additional info from @Chris_K Who may have further information now...

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/Apple-iPhone-8-iPhone-8-Plus-amp-iPhone-X-Megathread/m-p/...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
  • 122373 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Matt6There re no plans for O2 to stock this watch currently

This article explains why https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/when-will-apple-watch-3-lte-come-o2-3664181/

Why can't O2 offer Apple Watch data plans?

The first thing to mention is that this isn't some sort of artificially created exclusive sweetheart deal set up between EE and Apple - there is, according to EE and corroborated by one other provider, a concrete technological reason why that provider is the only one capable of handling the Apple Watch in the UK.

An EE spokesperson told us that "EE is the only UK network that has the capability to 'share' a number across a hard SIM (in the phone) and the Apple e-SIM (in the watch)."

At present this isn't something O2 can offer - so it isn't simply a question of waiting for an exclusivity deal to expire.

Additional info from @Chris_K Who may have further information now...

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/Apple-iPhone-8-iPhone-8-Plus-amp-iPhone-X-Megathread/m-p/...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Most likely never.
They dropped the Samsung watch which ran on the same principles.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

jonnymk
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 39 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ironically, the Apple Watch Series 4 added LTE/4G band 40 (2300MHz) which o2 have started rolling out in densely populated areas to improve speeds, so it’s a perfect fit for o2s network. The Apple Watch Series 3 does not support this.
Message 4 of 7

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Good news @Matt6, @jonnymk, the Apple Watch Series 4 is now available with O2! 

You can read all about it here 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 7

jonnymk
  • 39 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I saw that. I went through the sign up process in the watch app and it’s just stuck on “activating” with a spinning circle. Tried rebooting both the phone and watch. O2 customer support says it’s not supported because I did not get my iPhone or Apple Watch from o2 which is total rubbish. There is only one UK provider who seem to be able to make the Apple Watch actually work as advertised.
Message 6 of 7

jonnymk
  • 39 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

* my pessimism might be pre-conditioned since one of the other UK networks who added support for the apple watch in the last year also got stuck on "activating" when I signed up with them,  and it was like that for over 7 days. the whole process and general support with them was so frustrating I cancelled the whole lot and moved back to o2. I will pateiently wait out the full 24 hours with o2 though slight_smile

Message 7 of 7