Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch data plan runaround

DRoo1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I really hope someone here can help as I am about losing my mind now over trying to get an o2 data plan for my Apple Watch added to my account.

I bought the Watch from apple, not o2 but it is a cellular model. When it arrived I bought a plan, which failed to activate. I was told by someone at o2 on 202 it had been cancelled, so I bought another, which also didn’t activate. It transpired the first one was never cancelled. O2 representatives have variably told me I must wait for an esim in the post, that I need to wait another 24/48/72 hours/5 days for a call back from another department where it has been ‘escalated’, that they are putting me through to a manager or to the Apple Watch team, for whom I am then on hold for extended periods before someone else answers -from customer services! It’s like a black hole. On one occasion I was on hold for over an hour before this happened. And of course classically some have just hung up on me. It seems no one on 202 is able to help.

Today a very kind girl in an o2 shop called customer services on my behalf and believed she had been able to get them to cancel the plans so I could make a new fresh attempt. She was advised the cancellation process should take 2 hours. To my knowledge this has not yet been done and my watch app is still saying there’s a problem or that the activation is in progress. 

I’m now feeling like I need to change provider if I’ve any hope of resolving this, not to mention how upsetting it is after over 10 years as a customer to be shown so little concern.

Is anyone here able to connect me with someone who can actually get a new plan set up?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@DRoo1 

You're wasting your time with CS as they are useless these days for anything other than the simplest of issues.

Set up the data plan from the watch setup routine and it will walk you through buying an airtime plan.
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/apple-watch
Open the Watch app on your iPhone and tap on ‘Mobile Data’.
Then tap ‘Set up mobile data’. You’ll be prompted to sign in with your My O2 username and password.
Once you’ve signed in, select your Apple Watch plan. Follow the steps on the screen to set up your Apple Watch Airtime Plan.
It can take up to 24 hours to activate, but sometimes it might take a little longer.
To check if your new Airtime Plan is active, open the Watch app on your iPhone and tap on ‘Mobile Data’. In the ‘Data Plan’ section, if you see O2 with the word ‘activating’ then you’ll have to wait a little longer for set up to complete. If you see O2 with an orange ‘i’ next to it, then you’re all set up.
If you get an error message at any point, on the iPhone, go to Settings and select Privacy > Motion & Fitness and switch it on.
Then go back to the watch app/Mobile Data/set up mobile data plan and be ready to put your o2 username and password in to the resulting o2 screen. Also, it costs £5 monthly to add the airtime for the Apple Watch, so you'll need to authorise this after entering the o2 user name and password. The phone app will then say 'activating' which can take a day or so, but at that point, you can try doing a phone call direct from the watch to test it.
You also need to have iData enabled on your account and pay bills by direct debit.

If this still doesn't work, @O2Lisa will be here Monday morning and may be able to help further.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 19

DRoo1
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your reply. This is exactly how I set the two plans up however. I have been calling CS because they are refusing to activate. It’s now been over a week and a lot of pointless and futile phone calls. I’m at a loss what else to do.

Message 3 of 19

DRoo1
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Idata and direct debit payment both are in place.

Message 4 of 19

O2Lisa
Former Staff
  • 996 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 32 Solutions

Morning all, thanks for the tag @MI5 😊

@DRoo1 I'll message you privately and look in to this for you. 

My working hours are Monday - Thursday 08:00 - 18:00
Any messages sent outside these time will be responded to on my return.
Thanks slight_smile

signature
Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 19

PM2
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have the exact same issue. Followed the set up process via the watch/iphone and still says 'activating' 5 days later.

Any chance you can help me resolve @O2Lisa

Many thanks

Message 6 of 19

MattFoster
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have exactly this same issue as well.  @O2Lisa can you help?

Message 7 of 19

O2Lisa
  • 996 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 32 Solutions

Hey, of course I can.

@MattFoster@PM2 I'll message you both privately and look in to this for you. 

My working hours are Monday - Thursday 08:00 - 18:00
Any messages sent outside these time will be responded to on my return.
Thanks slight_smile

signature
Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 19

DRoo1
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for messaging Lisa.

As far as I'm aware Matt, this is an ongoing issue and the admin team are looking into it. No indication as yet of when this might be fixed. Will you post here if you get anywhere and I will do the same?

Message 9 of 19

Chloe1994
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

i am too! 

Message 10 of 19