Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch / Error Code 88

rg11
Level 1: Joiner
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm awaiting a callback from an engineer, but figured I'd post here in case anyone can offer any insight into what's happening, or tell me of something I can do to speed things up. 

Signed up with O2 a few days back, to get cellular service for my Apple Watch S3. My phone is an iPhone SE. 

Phone and watch are paired fine. When I try and set up mobile data I get asked to sign into O2, do so, and then get told something went wrong, but to phone 202 and quote reference code 88. Did that yesterday and they took my EID (is that the esim?) from the watch and promised a callback. 

Possible problem is that I was on the iOS beta program. I've left now, but am still running 13.3 (current is 13.2). I could downgrade, but am reluctant to unless I know that IS the problem, rather than COULD BE. 

Other possible issues - new account, older iPhone and older Watch, neither purchased directly from O2. 

Any ideas what might be happening?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hey @rg11, is your Apple Watch working now, or do you need some more help? 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 11 of 19

rg11
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Still no joy. Waiting for a callback from O2 engineers. I spent 30 minutes on Saturday going through diagnostics with Apple and as far as they're concerned everything is normal at my end and as far as they can see it's an O2 issue. 

Message 12 of 19

rg11
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Missed a callback, so now waiting till Wed for another. I suspect I’ll end up cancelling under 14-days cooling off, only moved to O2 for the Apple Watch support.
Message 13 of 19

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@rg11 If you need more help after your callback, let us know here and we could get someone on our end to check what's been done and what else could be done slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 14 of 19

rg11
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@EmilieT , it looks like this topic might be the answer - I am on a 5G plan, as they were basically the same price and I figured I might switch to a 5G phone at some point. If you can confirm if this might be the case, that would be very helpful. Not sure if I can switch to a 4G plan, or if the 5G sims are different and I'll need a new sim, or what. 

Message 15 of 19

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@rg11 wrote:

@EmilieT , it looks like this topic might be the answer - I am on a 5G plan, as they were basically the same price and I figured I might switch to a 5G phone at some point. If you can confirm if this might be the case, that would be very helpful. Not sure if I can switch to a 4G plan, or if the 5G sims are different and I'll need a new sim, or what. 

@rg11 Double checking what I can find on that for you, I'll update the topic as soon as I have any more info slight_smile

signature

Message 16 of 19

rg11
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ended up cancelling - seemed safer to do that and start from scratch, as I was approaching the end of my 14-days cooling off, and couldn't be sure the change from a 5G to 4G plan wouldn't mess up my cashback. Plus nobody at O2 seems to yet be sure what the problem is....

@EmilieT  saw your pm while writing the above - thanks for your help. 

Message 17 of 19

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

No problem @rg11, as I mentioned, if you have any more problems, give us a shout on here and we can get someone to follow-up with you slight_smile

signature

Message 18 of 19

rg11
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Now getting refused by O2 when I try to sign up again, presumably because I've just canceled a contract after a week. Starting to get bored of this.
Message 19 of 19