Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch 4 poor battery life

JimSlip
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi all, I picked up my series 4, 44mm Apple Watch at the o2 shop on Friday.

I have owned a series 1, series 3 gps and now the series 4 cellular and the series 4 has terrible battery life for some reason compared to my series 3.

My series 3 would finish the day with 65% charge or 50% if I had done a long run etc... after wearing it for 12/13 hours.

I looked at my series 4 at 4pm (I had worn it since 8am, 8 hours) and it was at 30%.

This is terrible. I phoned Apple and they advised resetting the watch and repairing it from fresh (without restoring it from my series 3 backup) like I had originally.

After doing this I fully unpaired, repaired and set up the watch. Charged it to 50% and wore it. After just 30 minutes the cal artery had fallen back to 43. Losing 7% in 30 minutes is bad compared to my series 3.

I have the screen set to the lowest brightness and auto detect exercise turned off.

Could this be a software/o2 problem that needs ironing out? O2 have offered to replace the watch which I will take them up on however i believe it’s highly unlikely that the new watch would be the issue.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Jim
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Sounds about right to me.
Apple only suggest 18 hours (average) between charges.

https://www.apple.com/uk/watch/battery.html

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

7% seems normal anymore than 20% in 30 minutes then I would agree there’s an issue 

Message 3 of 7

JimSlip
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I dont agree, my series 3 way outperforms the series 4 interns of battery life. I’ve either been given a dud by Apple or O2 has a glitch or settings that need to be optimised.

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 provide you the sim & airtime. The hardware & software is an Apple issue
Message 5 of 7

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

Sounds about right to me. If you have the cellular version it wil lbe talking to the network in the background(as all cellular devices do) which will use battery power to do.

Im guessing your watch 3 didn't do this?

Message 6 of 7

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Are you using it on cellular rather than bluetooth connection to your iPhone? as if so the cellular use will drain the battery a LOT faster than it does over bluetooth.

For comparison I have the series 4, if its bluetooth only then I get on average 2 days use from it (i'm not very sporting so it isn't tracking excersise). If I leave my phone at home so its only cellular only it will need charging by the time I get home on day 1 (if not before)
Message 7 of 7