cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Music - Download Throttling

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I've been trialling Apple Music on my iPhone and spend a lot of time on the London Underground.  To this end I frequently synchronise and download tracks to my phone for offline listening.

When on WiFi everything works as expected.  When on 4G, though, my download speeds are positively awful and don't appear to be downloading any faster than they would be if I were streaming them in real time.

I run a speed test and am showing 20Mb down, 10Mb up on my 4G signal.  Apple Music downloads remain appalling.  Here's the kicker, though.  I have a VPN service that terminates in the Netherlands.  When I connect to my VPN and download the very same tracks over 4G via the Netherlands they come flying down the pipe and I'm able to synchronise entire albums in a minute or two.  I drop my VPN and continue... same album looks set to take an hour to download.

I can only conclude from this that O2 has a significant routing or throughput issue to Apple's network (technical issue) or is deliberately throttling Apple Music to little more than streaming speeds (which is in breach of service contract as far as I'm concerned).  Either way, I'm not happy.

Does anyone else have any experience of this or the ability to shed light on why I'm getting such a poor download speed from Apple over the O2 network?  Downloading Apps isn't affected, just Apple Music.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm not sure o2 will change their policy on this tbh. However, no excuse for the callbacks not being done. It's very rare they carry out their promises with callbacks. It's actually finding a conscientious adviser that's the main problem. 

Message 21 of 21