Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Apple

Anonymous

Another credit check for ppl wishing to upgrade

How does this work if you buy online?
Anonymous

From what I can remember its done through the details you enter throughout the process- I think the check is done just prior to order confirmation. It may have changed though- but the process should be essentially the same.
Anonymous

Guys, please read the threads.....

If you have an o2 account, o2 will look at this when you upgrade.. they would only look at a new credit check if they needed to increase say your credit limit... the maximum your bill can reach over your calling plan....

If you are new to o2 and buy an iPhone... you buy your iphone either in store or online, go home and do it all over itunes.. This is all stated in the terms and conditions on the o2 website.

When you connect and start to go thru the new connection procedure it may ask for a depost or decline.. (I dont know anyone who has been declined?) You have something between 7-14 days to return the iphone in its box unused for a refund... it will not allow you to upload anything until you have completed the connection progress...
Anonymous

Good post. The issue is- will you be able to validate the iPhone on iTunes this time? It doesn't seem likely- I think you will have to do it in store- especially as the phone is unavailable through Apple directly- only through O2 or CPW.
Anonymous

it clearly says on the o2 website that activation is via itunes

"iPhone 3G will be available in the UK through O2 and Carphone Warehouse. iPhone 3G will also be sold online through O2 and Carphone Warehouse. Customers can register their interest in iPhone 3G for regular news and updates at www.o2.co.uk. In Ireland, iPhone will be available through O2’s retail channels"

That was take from the apple and o2 press release
Anonymous

jesus guys dont be stupid.. you wont need a credit check when upgrading... sure you sign a new contract but they dont do another credit check because your already a customer

Actually you will be credit searched regardless of new ,old, or exsisting customer wishing to upgrade.
Anonymous

I haven't seen the press release yet- fair enough that suits me fine- no waiting around in stores to get one on July 11th!

That being said- due to the fact that the jailbreak mod for 2.0 requires an deactivated iPhone with the firmware on it to work (unless Apple have plugged that hole in the beta firmware)- I would be VERY surprised if it doesn't change and you will have to activate it in store before leaving. Otherwise people can buy it on the cheap and sell it on for stupid amounts of money- and keeping their original phone- something I see happen all the time where I live with new top-end handsets.
Anonymous

Apple have supposed to have plugged the software so you can not jailbreak it, also as far as I am aware 3g handset are harder to break anyway...

It could go in the way of a store activation, but the cost would be huge to o2 to do it this way.
Anonymous

There seems to be a question about buying the phone, then not getting the contract - the new arrangement is that you take out a contract and get a free/subsidised phone included - therefore there will be no risk of being left with a phone and no contract.

Regarding activation - the upgrade process is online only through O2 (not sure how CPW will do it), therefore it is likely that the phone/sim will be ready for activation when it is posted to you and that you will go online to complete activation. As you have a new 3G contract, and a 3G SIM, it is likely that your old SIM will deactivate as the new one activates, therefore you couldn't just get the phone and sell it on as you would be stuck with a 3G activated SIM and a 2G phone which won't take a 3G SIM.
Anonymous

Hello there,

To clarify, anyone applying for a new contract/service with O2 will be suject to a credit check.

Upgrading customers are not subject to another check.

Thanks