cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5s and WiFi calling

Anonymous
Not applicable
Long term TuGo user. WiFi calling not now supported on IPhone 5s. Are there plans to extend service to include this handset? If not what is best alternative? Thanks
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
There are no alternatives and we have not been told what phones will be supported in the future, sorry.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Your only chance of getting anywhere is to make a complaint https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain and hope they allow you to leave without penalty and move to another network like EE or Three @Anonymous

You could also ask O2 if they are willing to supply you with a boost box (which will only help you when you are at home)

Either way you look at it, it will be more expense for you sadly...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
02s preferred option is for you to upgrade to a phone costing around £1500 over the length of the new contract.....
Message 4 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Sad... But true ^
Message 5 of 12

AndyT8
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes I have the same question.  No more wifi call support now that TU has gone.

I don't see why O2 can't support WiFi Calling on the iPhone 5s as it is 64bit and runs IOS 11.  PLUS it is already available on the 5s on the Three and the EE network so it can't be that hard for them to support on O2.  Maybe there is some truth that they just want you to upgrade to a newer iPhone.

Message 6 of 12

packages
  • 26 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I think it's because the phone cannot support 4G Calling, whereas all other supported phones can.

Message 7 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

This is the current list of supported phones.... they have added a couple since they rolled it out

• iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6, SE
  • Samsung Galaxy S8, S8 Plus, Note8, S7, S7 edge and J3 2017
  • Sony Xperia XZ Premium, Xperia XZ1, Xperia XZ1 Compact

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 12

AndyT8
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the list of supported phones.  

I still don't see why O2 won't support the iPhone 5s with at least WiFi Calling (not worried about 4G calling at the moment) as it works perfectly well on EE and on 3 Three.  Three even support it on payg so I could test it out for the price of a sim.  Just that the coverage on 3 is not very good in rural areas around here so prefer to stick with O2 if I could.

Andy.

Message 9 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
There is now a new app called https://www.o2.co.uk/help/apps/o2-ask which has some wifi calling support.
It might be worth you giving it a try to see if it helps?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 12