cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g

Anonymous
Not applicable
When is 4g coming to the north west ( specifically Barrow-in-Furness & the south lakes)?
I have been getting this message for months now!!

Sorry we are experiencing high service demand in this area

A mast close to your location is experiencing a high level of demand for service. This can cause intermittent service for calls, texts and data. We’re working to improve it as quickly as we can. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Updated 22:30 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately O2 aren't releasing in the public domain timescales for specific areas.

It's just a case of wait for your turn.

O2 have only committed to a data speed of 2mbps to 98% of the country. This can be achieved on 3G so there is no guarantee you'll receive 4G.

You could try calling customer services (202 contract) (4445 payg) and see if they have an update on the mast situation.

Welcome to the community.
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Barb9

It is a case of keeping checking your service status for 4G and be ready with a 4G SIM card , Tariff and compatible phone. 

You can register your details here too -> https://www.o2.co.uk/getupdates?lte

Mast congestion does seem to be affecting o2's network across the UK as they go about updating them. 

I fear even calling o2 Customer Services which can be a long wait to get through - we've heard from others between 1-2 hours and sometimes longer that they won't / can't inform you of real time updates. Especially as this is indicated as "high level of demand for service " and not a mast which is requiring repair. 

If your on Contract you could use o2's Tugo on Home WiFi in the interim. 

Or if on payg alternatives such as skype , whatsapp and viber as long as the recipients have those downloaded too. 

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Barb9

... and be ready with a 4G SIM card , Tariff and compatible phone. 

I don't think the OP would upgrade their tariff and phone without any guarentee of increased service? Obviously they may already be 'good to go', but otherwise they could just be hemorrhaging money for no reward, without even a timescale for when they would start to see any benefit?

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby , is this thread needed in 'Apple'?

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have had the same message... "Sorry we are experiencing high service demand in this area

A mast close to your location is experiencing a high level of demand for service. This can cause intermittent service for calls, texts and data. We’re working to improve it as quickly as we can. Sorry for any inconvenience"......for well over 12 months here in North Devon although just yesterday it mentions 2G. 3G and 4G upgrades.

Unfortunately there is no way of finding out when 4G will be with you although O2 have promised 98% coverage by 2017

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Barb9

I don't think the OP would upgrade their tariff and phone without any guarentee of increased service? Obviously they may already be 'good to go', but otherwise they could just be hemorrhaging money for no reward, without even a timescale for when they would start to see any benefit?

Indeed. 

I don't think the 4G tariffs are more monetary wise as o2 were allowing the upgrade free at one point. 

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
When is 4g coming to the north west ( specifically Barrow-in-Furness & the south lakes)?
I have been getting this message for months now!!

Sorry we are experiencing high service demand in this area

A mast close to your location is experiencing a high level of demand for service. This can cause intermittent service for calls, texts and data. We’re working to improve it as quickly as we can. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Updated 22:30 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet.

I live in Workington so not that far from yourself. I too would like some timescale as to when 4G will come, especially as O2 have promised to provide 98 percent 4G coverage both indoor and outdoor by 2017.

Here's a link to O2's promise:

http://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/network-coverage

I was able to try out O2's 4G service while at the Metro Centre shopping centre at Gateshead last week. I was impressed with the speed. Despite it been a very busy area (with it been the second largest shopping centre in the UK) I got almost 14 Mb/s on the numerous speedtests I ran. And I found it much faster than the free wifi that the shopping centre provided.

On a good day in my area, I am lucky to get 6 Mb/s on 3G and more often than enough its 2.5 - 3 Mb/s.

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Barb9

Speaking for the sim only tariffs. Any tariff that is £13 or more per month, now comes 4G ready and I expect as time goes on, the cheaper tariffs will be 4G ready too.

I can remember when 4G first came, the 4G tariffs were seperate from the other none 4G tariffs and were quite a bit more expensive too, but this has changed over the last 12 months or so.

Message 9 of 9