cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G buffering

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi peeps!
I've recently purchased the iPhone 6+ on O2 refresh and love the device.
I am however having issues with my 4G service.
When I run a speed test I am getting really good speeds of around 12Mb down and 2Mb up which is great. The only thing is it doesn't really feel that way.
When I tried to download a track from iTunes over 4G it took just under 5 minutes...that was for 1 track. Downloading apps from the App Store is equally as painful and videos on Instagram, which played straight away on my iPhone 5 on 3G, I'm finding just seem to load...and load...and load. I have to wait for the video to go white, scroll past it then back to it, then press play again.

This doesn't sound like what I signed up for with 4G?
I have used live chat 2 times to try and get help. One agent told me to reset my cellular settings which I did to no avail...the other told me it was that a mast was down but would be back on that day. This sounded like a fob off to me though as I have had this issue since I got the phone on launch day. And the problem still exists today.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Thats a pretty high ping result tbh.
Can you manually select a closer server in the speedtest app settings and check the ping again.
Message 11 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Test your jitter and packet losses here http://www.pingtest.net/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 24

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
I'm getting a better ping from Paris on both 3g and 4G with better upload speed on both and I have 1 bar of 4g
Message 13 of 24

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
On 3 bars of 4g I'd expect a ping of 15-40 (depending how close to the local server) and speeds of 15Mb+ dl and at least 5Mb up
Message 14 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm I think I might have to ring O2 about this then as the ping rate is quite high.

Thanks for everyone's input
Message 15 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 seem to think it's a handset fault and have refered me to apple? Hmmmmm
Message 16 of 24

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
O2 seem to think it's a handset fault and have refered me to apple? Hmmmmm

It could be, as I have suggested, but you need to try on WiFi to confirm it or otherwise......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll give wifi a whirl before I take it to apple. Thanks again for your help everyone!
Message 18 of 24

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No worries - Hope you get it sorted slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 19 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'll give wifi a whirl before I take it to apple. Thanks again for your help everyone!

I hope you get this resolved one way or another so you can get back to enjoying the phone and Network Service.  😄

Message 20 of 24