cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G buffering

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi peeps!
I've recently purchased the iPhone 6+ on O2 refresh and love the device.
I am however having issues with my 4G service.
When I run a speed test I am getting really good speeds of around 12Mb down and 2Mb up which is great. The only thing is it doesn't really feel that way.
When I tried to download a track from iTunes over 4G it took just under 5 minutes...that was for 1 track. Downloading apps from the App Store is equally as painful and videos on Instagram, which played straight away on my iPhone 5 on 3G, I'm finding just seem to load...and load...and load. I have to wait for the video to go white, scroll past it then back to it, then press play again.

This doesn't sound like what I signed up for with 4G?
I have used live chat 2 times to try and get help. One agent told me to reset my cellular settings which I did to no avail...the other told me it was that a mast was down but would be back on that day. This sounded like a fob off to me though as I have had this issue since I got the phone on launch day. And the problem still exists today.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Is it the same on WiFi ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps remove the Sim,wipe,reinsert and turn back on.

Also sometimes another type of reboot helps.

Hold the sleep/wake button and home button until the apple logo shows and let go.

Another option is to try another sim and if it continues then an Apple Genius Bar via an appointment will be able to run a diagnostic http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

If the phone works ok with another sim then you could try having your SIM card swapped out at an O2 shop. Takes from a few minutes to approximately 24 hours to settle. Be sure to tell them if your on contract or payg as the SIM cards hold different information.

Or you can have one posted out by speaking to customers service http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus and use this link when you receive it http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk
Message 3 of 24

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

This doesn't sound like what I signed up for with 4G?
I have used live chat 2 times to try and get help. One agent told me to reset my cellular settings which I did to no avail...the other told me it was that a mast was down but would be back on that day. This sounded like a fob off to me though as I have had this issue since I got the phone on launch day. And the problem still exists today.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
You can check to see if you're having any local signal issues here: http://status.o2.co.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 24

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
When I run a speed test I am getting really good speeds of around 12Mb down and 2Mb up which is great. 

If you don't mind me asking, how many bars did you have with those speeds,?

Message 5 of 24

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
And on the speed test results, what's your ping result.
Message 6 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you everyone for posting. I've not been able to try yet over wifi as I am in the process of moving house so that has been cancelled.

I have just done another speed test 3 bars of signal on 4G and I am getting 109 ping, 4.5Mbps download and 0.99Mpbs upload. But still Instagram videos struggle to play and even some apps are loading for longer than Id thought in order to load.
Message 7 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You shouldn't be struggling on those speeds.
You need to pop into McDonalds or somewhere with free WiFi to check if it's still slow as it may be a phone issue.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
You could try wifi in a coffee shop.

Be wary that each speed test carried out uses 40mb + of your data allowance.

Does your mast status come back as good ?
Message 9 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll try a wifi network and see if it's the same as over 4G.

Yes I've just checked the masts in the area and it's saying services are all working fine.
Message 10 of 24