4G available on iPhone 5s/5c

Abs
O2 Social Media Team
O2 Social Media Team
  • 1014 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Got some great news folks,

The glorious 4G is now available for iPhone 5s & iPhone 5c. All you need is a 4G tariff, coverage and settings. More info here!

Would love to hear some thoughts/ comments from you lovely iPhone 5s/5c owners...If you're thinking why 4G, what are the advantages, how it can benefit you or anything related to 4G? You can take part in our 'Virtual Interview' session by posting a question about 4G here.

#O24G

Cheers

Abs 

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Great news but unfortunately not in my area just yet.

The improvements being made to the Network for 4G will also improve 2G and 3G services too.

I *REALLY* hope this is the case, as with EE it was the complete opposite.  Their 2G/3G was affected badly and even after a year is still disgraceful.

Hopefully O2 have taken note and won't fall into the same trap...

Message 41 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

At the very least, if more people are on the 4G network, shouldnt the 3G network be less saturated? Or do they use the same masts for both 3G and 4G? 

Message 42 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im sure you've probably seen this before but it does show what o2 are achieving and their future plans.

http://www.o2.co.uk/network/future

Message 43 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

At the very least, if more people are on the 4G network, shouldnt the 3G network be less saturated? Or do they use the same masts for both 3G and 4G? 

That's the theory behind it.  In practice what EE seemed to be doing was when they added the 4G masts they were decomissioning the non 4G masts thus affecting anyone not on 4G..

Message 44 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Im sure you've probably seen this before but it does show what o2 are achieving and their future plans.

http://www.o2.co.uk/network/future

Yep that looks very promising, so as long as that is how it pans out - happy days I say!

Message 45 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do worry that there is often a huge gulf between what the operators THINK they are providing, and what they actually ARE.

For example, where I am the O2 coverage map suggests an OK outdoor, patchy indoor 3G900 service; but so far not so much as a sniff of 3G anywhere nearby. Although I do wonder if a phone will give priority to a strong 2G signal from a closer mast over a weak 3G signal from a more distant mast. That's something I wanted to test but as we know there is no option to switch off 2G!

Message 46 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2. Would Portsmouth (Uk) get 4G?.
Message 47 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
O2. Would Portsmouth (Uk) get 4G?.

We are all customers here so we don't know. 

You can register here for updates https://www.o2.co.uk/getupdates?lte

Message 48 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whilst we don't know for sure, given that Portsmouth is a city with high density population then yes I would expect 4g to come to your area.

What we don't know is when. O2 have an obligation to provide 98% of the population with 4g by 2017 although they are aiming to reach that target by end 2015
Message 49 of 49