cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G and signal strength

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bit strange but when my phone is just 3G I have 4 bubbles of signal and when I turned on my 4G I only get 2 signal bubbles.

Does anyone know why and how I can fix this?
Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51

Reason077
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That's right. The iPhone will tend to select the strongest signal, regardless of which is faster. It does this to optimise battery usage, as a strong signal will mean the phone has to use less power.

Here at my flat in London I get a strong (5 bars) 2G signal, and weak (2-3 bars) 3G and 4G signals. My iPhone 6 tends to bounce back and forth between all three, which is kind of annoying.

The thing is, for data, even a weak 4G signal is still MUCH better than a 3G signal on O2. I can get 20 Mbit with a 2-bar 4G signal, but 3G will often struggle to get 1 Mbit, even with a 5-bar signal.

O2's 3G also sucks because of the long time (10 sec or more) it takes to establish a data connection, and because the data connection seems to randomly drop from time to time, requiring togging "airplane mode" in order to get it back. 4G has none of these problems!

I kind of wish I could increase the priority of 4G a bit so it would stay locked on that whenever possible instead of flipping between networks all the time. Perhaps that would mean increased power consumption, but changing networks all the time can't be great for the battery either.

Message 31 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had to keep toggling my 4G on and off yesterday but today it's stuck with it on even though I'm only receiving 2 bubbles of signal with it. I used to receive 4 bubbles with 4G in my house / area and since SIM and number changeover its disappeared
Message 32 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
Had my settings reset with still unsteady signal so I think a SIM swap is in order
Message 33 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
Done the SIM swap today but now I've noticed that its just when I'm at home I lose 4G connection, is there a way to signal boost?
Message 34 of 52

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Use Tugo or place phone near a window (it's the wall's construction that blocks a signal more than glass does).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 35 of 52

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Am I right in thinking its with older constructed houses @MI5  (walls much thicker etc etc ) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 36 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
The thing I dont get it before I got this phone and was using my 5S I had perfect signal and 4G
Message 37 of 52

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
The thing I dont get it before I got this phone and was using my 5S I had perfect signal and 4G

Maybe network problems now then @Anonymous ?... Have you checked the mast status?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 38 of 52

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Old houses with thick walls or new houses with extra insulation - You can't win with indoors signal.....
Assumption from what you've just said is that 5s has a better modem than the 6 does.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 39 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I have and its perfectly fine in my area, I have done everything I can with o2, I am now trying with Apple, I may need a new device
Message 40 of 52