cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Button Toggle disappeared with iOS8 update

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I've been doing research on this issue and have just come away from speaking to Apple - who have definitively told me that this is a carrier issue. 

Pre-ios update on my iphone 5, I was able to toggle 3G off when I was at work. I did this because 3G hasn't worked where my office is for well over a year now, and despite contacting o2 several times - they were adamant it wasn't an issue at their end. This is my second iphone 5 with this problem, plus several other employees on o2 have also encountered it, so I can only assertain that the issue isn't at my end. 

As a way around this problem, ensuring I can get data access on my phone for emails/imessages etc. I've been turning off 3G. This was, until the iOS8 update.

So at the moment, I have no data access whilst I'm at work - because I have two options for cellular data. One is to enable 4G, which I can't do on an iphone 5 because it's not supported. The second is to turn off cellular data altogether - which, defeats the object.

I'd like o2 to either a) investigate the 3G problem further in my area at work, or b) issue a carrier update which reinstates the option to turn off 3G. Is one of these possible, please?

I've been with o2 now for 14 years (back when it started our as BT Genie), and I don't particularly want to leave - but this is not an acceptable situation for me. 

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Steve3948
Level 1: Joiner
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I spent 2 hours in chat with O2 who insisted it was nothing to do with them, they even said why is nobody else complaining if its an issue, classic reply.

I was passed to 4 different operatives who all started with how can I help you, well try reading the chat that would help.

Ended with no joy and O2 insisting it was an Apple problem.

Message 11 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No doubt this will be another "it's O2/it's Apple" debate that will go on for a long time..... as usual.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same trouble. As well as terrible battery drain problems since the io8 update which I assume has a lot to do with cellular data as it's not as pronounced when on wifi only.

Turning off 3G used to improve battery life greatly, but now, with that option taken away, Apple and O2 has conspired to make my very expensive device close to obsolete within a year.

Please O2 - bring the 3G toggle back.
Message 13 of 18

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I am having the same trouble. As well as terrible battery drain problems since the io8 update which I assume has a lot to do with cellular data as it's not as pronounced when on wifi only.

Turning off 3G used to improve battery life greatly, but now, with that option taken away, Apple and O2 has conspired to make my very expensive device close to obsolete within a year.

Please O2 - bring the 3G toggle back.

Turning off mobile data will do the same thing as you did before.

The only difference now is that you can't force a 2g connection.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your comment MI5. That is what I meant. I would like to force a 2G connection as that seemed to be suitable for email etc without the battery drain of 3G. Now it seems like it's very power-hungry 3G or nothing.
Message 15 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Let's hope O2 sanction the toggle in one of their carrier updates via apple.
Message 16 of 18

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for your comment MI5. That is what I meant. I would like to force a 2G connection as that seemed to be suitable for email etc without the battery drain of 3G. Now it seems like it's very power-hungry 3G or nothing.

Sorry.... My bad 😞

Currently using:
Message 17 of 18

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi guys,

I know this an older thread, but below is some info 2G/3G/LTE switching from my colleague Chris in case it is informative.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/Heads-Up-iOS-8-1-is-live/m-p/796283#M37670

I'll close this thread now. Thanks slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 18 of 18