cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using data allowance while connected to wifi?

Anonymous
Not applicable

i have iphone 3 and only 100mb data allowance but only use phone in the house and am connected to wifi. checked hub and phone settings and all appears ok but for last two months o2 texting to say Ive used my allowance. I cant get an answer from o2. Can anyone help please?

thanks

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

must be apps connecting to the internet when you are out and about, things like checking emails regularly, apps etc you will soon use up 100meg

also make sure, automatic downloads is disabled in settings and also Use cellular is off in settings, iTunes & app stores.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

must be apps connecting to the internet when you are out and about, things like checking emails regularly, apps etc you will soon use up 100meg

also make sure, automatic downloads is disabled in settings and also Use cellular is off in settings, iTunes & app stores.

Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tun off location settings in any apps that you don't use much as they are constantly searching & updating

Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Plus when your phone goes into sleep mode they switch to 3G from wifi.
Message 4 of 11

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Great advice here guys, well done.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can also search the App Store for various free apps which help monitor your 3G internet usage. 3G Watchdog is one. I tell it my data cap, the day of the month is resets - and it warns me when I've used 75% of my allowance, and at 100% it turns off the 3G on my phone.
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try dataman

Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for all the replies! much appreciated!

Message 8 of 11

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Dataman is great especially the paid version. Gives you a breakdown of what apps use how much data:)

You can also set limits on the amount of data you allocate to certain apps. Eg give Facebook 100mb of data out of a 500mb monthly allowance and it will tell you once you've used up the allocation.

Well worth the price in my opinion.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im having similar issues with my 5. i seem to be hitting my limit each month since i got my 5 which was on release day, i wonder if its an iOS6 feature.

For example i started a new month yesterday and i have already used 5 meg. on what? it was connected to my home wifi all day yesterday and i put it in plan mode last night before bed.

I might have to get one of these data checkers a go cos this is doing my head in 😞

Message 10 of 11