cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"the internet connection appears to be offline / could not activate mobile data network"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Heya,

Just changed to the O2 simplicity 300 12 month contract from a pre-existing 18 month contract, with this "the all rounder data 500mb" bolt on, which is active apparently, but the only way I'm able to do things on me phone (data-wise) is via my wifi connection.

I'm in an area with good 3G coverage as it used to work fine before, but it refuses to work at all now. I'm able to make/receive calls & text, signals fine 'n all, but soon as I turn off me phones wifi, the error in the subject line is shown when trying to browse. 

Anyone getting the same error? Any folk from O2 able to look into me account and see if anything to do with me data isn't maybe switched on? It's annoying having to rely on a wifi connection to be able to do stuff.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

It sounds like the usual issue ring 202 and get them to check it is the iphone data bolton (same cost) and once corrected the default idata apn will work fine.

Or change the apn as per the info in my usefull links in my signature

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

It sounds like the usual issue ring 202 and get them to check it is the iphone data bolton (same cost) and once corrected the default idata apn will work fine.

Or change the apn as per the info in my usefull links in my signature

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 7

macblank
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions
Are u using an iPhone?

If so, u may need it to be changed. For some reason, iPhone's need a diff type of data package. Just like a blackberry.
Old Phone Geek!!! A Mobile User Since 1993
Samsung Galaxy S3

Feel Free to Add Kudos, If I Have Helped slight_smile
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Heya guys, thanks for the replies

I spoke to someone at o2 via that 802802 text chat, gave them the problem I was having and emailed me the default info for the network settings.

Thing is they were the same, nothing had changed from when I went from me old contract to my new one. Anyway, right at the end of the chat, the o2 advisor said maybe change the apn to mobile.o2.co.uk - and bingo, it started working.

I've browsed around though, and that's the "ip/domain" for non-iphone tariff users? Am I able to continue using mobile.o2.co.uk safely?

Message 4 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes that's what you need for a non iPhone tariff....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, it's an iPhone 4 - the correct pay monthly apn doesn't seem to work /shrug

Hey-ho, least 'am able to do things on it now
Message 6 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The correct APN is the one you are now using. idata.o2.co.uk is only if you have an idata bolt on. You obviously have a standard data bolt on.

Message 7 of 7