Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 5 - "no service"

jrd2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Having issues with my new iphone 5, saying "no service" most of the day wherever I am. I've tried restarting the phone, fully reseting, taking sim out and putting back in, disabling 3g, turning aeroplane mode on and off but nothing is fixing the issue.

I've been with o2 for years and had no network issues, also checked o2 website for network availability and my area looks fine.... so I'm guessing this is a handset or sim issue?

Sometimes I will have a full strength signal then it cuts out to 1 bar then no service and is stuck there for a long time. 

My battery is also draining very quickly and I think this is due to the hand set constantly searching / attempting to join a network that it can't find. 

When I switch provider to manual it can't find any network providers most of the time.

Any solutions, or does this sound like a new handset or sim is required?

I've had the phone for a week and it seems to have got progressively worse.

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Sorry to hear your having issues.

One resolution is to ask for a replacement nano sim.

Make sure you callibrate the battery too and remember it takes a few cycles before the battery reaches optimum output.

The last resort would to be arrange an appointment at your apple genius barr to have it looked at.

You could also check with 02 if your only a short time into your contract to have the iphone swapped but dont allow them to send it off for repair. If that is the only option then id suggest going to apple yourself as they will more than likely give you a mint refurb !

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Sounds a definite problem with the handset or the simcard. Obviously you have a new im so I would be looking at either returning the phone to O2 or making an appointment at your nearest Apple store to see the Genius.

http://concierge.apple.com/reservation/gb/en/techsupport/

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Sorry to hear your having issues.

One resolution is to ask for a replacement nano sim.

Make sure you callibrate the battery too and remember it takes a few cycles before the battery reaches optimum output.

The last resort would to be arrange an appointment at your apple genius barr to have it looked at.

You could also check with 02 if your only a short time into your contract to have the iphone swapped but dont allow them to send it off for repair. If that is the only option then id suggest going to apple yourself as they will more than likely give you a mint refurb !

Message 3 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Do you know anyone else on O2 and are they having signal issues? Can you get to an apple store as they will run checks on the handset to confirm if it's working OK or not. There have been quite a few faulty ones about.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 9

jrd2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the replies!

I know others on o2 and they're not having issues, this has been ongoing for a few days now and happens wherever I go so it's not confined to one area.

Unfortunately no Apple store here, so can't get it checked. The phone is through an o2 online contract and provided by carphone warehouse so I will take it to their "Geek team" to see if they have any suggestions.

Straight after posting my original message, I found posts about static build up on Sim cards being a problem. I had already wiped the sim a few times and this didn't do anything but I tried again with static in mind and lightly touched the gold connection of the sim with a metal fork to pass any static away (sounds mad, but I was out of ideas and knew a metal object would take away any charge). Since then I've had a full signal. I'm not holding my breath as I had spells of full signal before but it eventually went back to no service.

I'll keep you updated! Hopefully this is the simple solution!

Thanks

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fingers crossed Dude.
Message 6 of 9

AlignedChaos
Level 9: Fired up
  • 77 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 14 Solutions

Re your battery drain issues, it'd also be worth checking what version of iOS you have on your iPhone.

iOS 6.02 was released for iPhone 5 (not 4 or 4S) and there have been reports of battery drain issues across the internet.  If the problem persists when you have full signal, consider a downgrade to iOS 6.0.1.  For that, i'm afraid, you'll need to speak to Mr Google....

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlignedChaos wrote:

Re your battery drain issues, it'd also be worth checking what version of iOS you have on your iPhone.

iOS 6.02 was released for iPhone 5 (not 4 or 4S) and there have been reports of battery drain issues across the internet.  If the problem persists when you have full signal, consider a downgrade to iOS 6.0.1.  For that, i'm afraid, you'll need to speak to Mr Google....

As far as I'm aware 6.0.2 is available for iPhone 5 owners to help cure a bug ref home wifi connectivity issues. 

ive not seen issues reported ref this ios update that would affect battery life. 

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

6.0.2 was a wifi bug fix for the iPhone 5 only

Message 9 of 9