cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone no longer sending emails when on 3G

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm a bit puzzled. I have had my iPhone for 2 years and configured my virgin.net email no problems via IMAP. As of yesterday the phone no longer is able to send emails (it just continually says 'sending....'). The odd thing is that it is fine on WiFi just not on 3G (I am with O2), which would make me think it is an O2 issue. However if I turn off smtp.virgin.net and send email via a different smtp then it works fine, which makes me think it must be a virgin.net issue.

my wife also has an iPhone 4 on O2 which I have set up in the same way and she is experiencing the same issue.  If the problem is with smtp.virgin.net all of a sudden then why does the issue occur only on the mobile data network and not on WiFi?

Anyone else experiencing this?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
All good on smtp.virginmedia.com. So I assume it was the smtp.virgin.net mail server - just not sure why it only had issues when I was on mobile data network

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Is there any variance between your incoming and outgoing mail settings?

Do you have another account that you could test with just too see if its a Virgin problem?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes my gmail accounts are sending fine, and if I turn off smtp.virgin.net and use the O2 smtp server for the virgin email this also is working fine

Message 3 of 8

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/smtp-virgin-net-not-working-with-o2/td-p/1289209

try comparing your settings against the last post in this thread

or the offcial virgin site

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE...

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes I have it set up exactly as described on the virgin website - it's worked fine for years! Gonna try switching over to smtp.virginmedia.com

Message 5 of 8

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Let us know how you get on. I can't even find a service status for their email sever:/
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
All good on smtp.virginmedia.com. So I assume it was the smtp.virgin.net mail server - just not sure why it only had issues when I was on mobile data network
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions
Message 8 of 8