cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone and Cloud

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have handed my 3gs iphone to my daughter - she is on the Orange network.  I have a new iPhone 5 on O2. Somehow I think both phones are linked to the same iCloud account. We used to be able to send texts to each other without any problems. Now, I get text from her but the ID that shows is my Apple ID. When I respond to that text she receives it but I also get a copy sent from the name I have given my phone. I also see a copy of the text that my daughter has sent to my granddaughter's phone!!!!  I don't know how to unravel it. 

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

1 Is she using her own pc?

2 You can create an apple id here https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/

3 you should have seperate ids so you do not get charged for app store purchases your daughter makes.

4 once set up new id on apple go to settings> itunes and app store click your id and sign out.

5 then sign in using new id

6 in settings> messages > send and recieve> ensure the new apple id is there and remove your id from you can be reached by imessage at

Hope that helps

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

you need to setup your daughters iphone with its own itunes account and then remove the your account in imessage settings etc

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK how do I set up her own iTunes account, where do I do that? - it's probably self explanatory once I start but I'm not very techie as I'm in my 60's (she's even less techie than I am). Once I've set up her account, how do I delete mine from the iphone.

Message 3 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

1 Is she using her own pc?

2 You can create an apple id here https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/

3 you should have seperate ids so you do not get charged for app store purchases your daughter makes.

4 once set up new id on apple go to settings> itunes and app store click your id and sign out.

5 then sign in using new id

6 in settings> messages > send and recieve> ensure the new apple id is there and remove your id from you can be reached by imessage at

Hope that helps

Apple Watch series 4

Message 4 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Normally when you pass an iphone on it is recomended to setup the iphone as new and that removes all traces of your account from the iphone and puts it back to the state it was when you unboxed it.

Your daughetr could do that and then setup an apple id as part of the process (but you lose all your apps etc you have put on )

Apple Watch series 4

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

We've got separate laptops, Yes, I set up her own itunes account did that on her laptop.  I'm not sure I did anything else though - don't think I signed out. Step 4 - do I do that on the phone or on the computer?

Message 6 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

steps 4,5,6 on daughters iphone

Apple Watch series 4

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think setting up as new is definitely what I should have done. Do I do that by doing a factory reset? Before me giving her my 3GS I had given her my 3G and that is what she was using up to Christmas Day.

Should I tell her to:

1. Put her Sim back in the 3G

2. Back-up that 3G phone to her laptop.

3. Do a factory reset on the 3GS

4. Put her Sim into the 'empty/factory reset 3GS'

5. Is this where we link her Apple/iTunes account?

6. Restore from the 3G backup to the 3GS so that she has all her contacts from her old phone?

7. Would the apps from her 3G not be restored when she did step 6?

Message 8 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I would recomend that and yes any app on the 3 would go on 3gs

stage 5 happens as part of the setup as old phone function when connecting the wiped 3gs to itune chose set up as old iphone 3 phones name

Apple Watch series 4

Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much, I understand what you are telling me and I remember seeing the bit at the end of your instructions on item 6. You genuinely have been really helpful. I tried talking to a Guru but I don't think he understood what I was trying to say.
Message 10 of 12