cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 Sim Swap Question

Anonymous
Not applicable

My iPhone 5 is being delivered by Apple today (at last!).  I am on PAYG and will be swapping my sim from my current 3G phone.  My question is: should I swap the sim over and put the nano sim in the iPhone 5 before turning it on for the first time, or can I be setting the phone up via iTunes while I am waiting for O2 to activate the sim swap?  

Sorry if this seems a dumb question, but it is the first time I have set up a new iPhone from scratch and the iPhone User Guide for iOS 6 says "if you were given a SIM card .... install it before setting up iPhone" so I am unsure how critical this is?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your advice. Apple advised me that I should be able to set it up whilst waiting for the sim swap to activate, though I might have to manually change the phone number in iMessages later. In the end, I hung on and the sim swap went through in less than an hour.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Pickles
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 564 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Not sure what is the correct procedure.  I put my sim card in before I did the sim swap.  Although I didnt connect it to iTunes untill after the sim swap went through.  Bear in mind write down the sim pin number before you put it into the phone, to save you having to take it out slight_smile

Samsung S8
Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your advice. Apple advised me that I should be able to set it up whilst waiting for the sim swap to activate, though I might have to manually change the phone number in iMessages later. In the end, I hung on and the sim swap went through in less than an hour.
Message 3 of 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
 In the end, I hung on and the sim swap went through in less than an hour.

That was quick, hopefully things are back to normal slight_smile

Message 4 of 4