cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5, 4G, O2? Well never say never.....

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Ok I recently wrote a piece on 4G technology and why the iPhone 5 will not work on O2 4G Network even when its released.

If you missed it Ill give you a quick run down.

The iPhone 5 works on all UK bands which is 900mhz, 1800mhz and 2100mhz for 2G and 3G.

2G is 900mhz and 1800mhz in the Uk

3G is 900mhz and 2100mhz in the UK

However LTE on the iPhone which is 4G works on 

850mhz, 1800mhz and 2100mhz.

And the reason why the iPhone 5 gets LTE on EE is because they have spare capacity on 1800mhz. So they have converted there spare 1800mhz from 2G to 4G, thus giving them LTE on the iPhone 5.

People say, well O2 have 1800mhz as well as the 900mhz frequency. This is correct, but O2 have a small ammount of 1800mhz and isnt possible to convert this to LTE.

So the big wait until next year when all the networks will buy LTE spectrum from the Goverment..

Ah one catch. When its sold LTE will however be sold on the 800mhz and 2600mhz frequency. So Spot the issue with the iPhone 5. Yep the phone doesnt support these bands.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The interesting bit lol:smileywink: 

So if you followed me up to there, Hope you did and didnt switch of lol.

Well the EU made a anouncement 2 Days ago that they want LTE to work on the exsiting 2100mhz 3G signal.

This is to Refarm spare or some exsiting signal over to 4G LTE. 

So what does this mean. Well the iPhone 5 works on the 2100mhz LTE signal, so if the O2  convert so exsting 2100mhz from 3G to 4G, this means your iPhone 5 may have LTE even on O2.

Excited, well now the damper.

The earliest to refarm isnt until June 2014, and the UK networks would have to re-invest for the conversion (Upgrade exsting cell sites) and then it may be still another 6-12months before we see any if any LTE on the 2100mhz.

But as I say, never give up hope.

If any one wants to read the article on this then heres the link

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/23103/europe_moves_more_4G_liberalisation.aspx

One thing though, If people want 4G now on the iPhone 5, then only EE can provide this, in certain cities and at a cost too.

More info on 2G, 3G and 4G article too

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/What-is-2G-3G-and-4G/m-p/286204#M26411

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

o2 have said that the 5 wont even support 4g when it is released even though its a 4g capable phone

Message 2 of 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I think you missed the important bit Stuart:

Well the EU made a anouncement 2 Days ago that they want LTE to work on the exsiting 2100mhz 3G signal.

This is to Refarm spare or some exsiting signal over to 4G LTE. 

So what does this mean. Well the iPhone 5 works on the 2100mhz LTE signal, so if the O2  convert so exsting 2100mhz from 3G to 4G, this means your iPhone 5 may have LTE even on O2.

Excited, well now the damper.

The earliest to refarm isnt until June 2014, and the UK networks would have to re-invest for the conversion (Upgrade exsting cell sites) and then it may be still another 6-12months before we see any if any LTE on the 2100mhz.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

oh right, i missed that but i dont really understand the big fuss when it isnt widely available until next year & pretty pricey 

Message 4 of 8

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Thanks perksie.

Ive put a break on the page and a smiley wink to the nice bit lol

Stuart theres always a way even when you think there isnt lol

Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah just seems a bit too annoying as they all going on about the iphone 5 being 4g but wont that be redundant when 4g is released?

Message 6 of 8

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

and yes it is pricey lol

I have 4G in the city near me where i live, however Ive not jumped ship and not intending too as well. Yep its pricey, Data allowence isnt good and where i work and at home I dont get LTE. So the 2 main places i would use it, i dont get it.

O2 3G speeds have increased in speed over the last few months and upload speed has got some what better too and Ive just got 3G in my town in the last 6 Months. Its greattttt lol

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah they only just put 3g in my area last month even though i get 3g everywhere else

Message 8 of 8