cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 - 3G Usage Extremely High

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought the iPhone 5 on Friday afternoon and got around to switching it on and setting it up just over 24 hours ago. I set up wifi straight away and have been using this since I set it up. It was only about 6 hours ago when I left the house that 3G wasn't working, even though it's all switched on on the phone.

I called o2 who said that something had not been activated by Phones4U (where I bought the phone). They said that it could take up to 5 working days for the 3G to start working but it's usually working within 24 hours. She said to keep resetting network settings every now and then to see if it was working but that I'd receive an email when it was activated.

Was just wondering from other users' experience, is this actually likely to take 24 hours or closer to the 5 working days as it would be somewhat of an inconvenience if that was the case?

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Liquid wrote:
Suprised at your my O2 app. I wonder what it's doing:/

I have checked it probably 3 or 4 times on 3G today to check usage, before realising I can check my usage in the Settings area so maybe that's why it's used so much?

Message 31 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Liquid wrote:

I wonder, are you regularly checking your data useage on your myo2 app?

Go settings>general>about>advertising and switch that off should save you 200kb.

also in same area but click on diagnostics and usage click don't send.

you should also stop your backup from syncing on 3G you can do that in the iCloud section Of settings.

Yes I have checked it 3 or 4 times today. Just checkedand my advertising is already switched off. I've just turned my iCloud backup off.

Message 32 of 36

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

So try the other  version that Will compress the data but some will not work if uk only access required

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 33 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

So try the other  version that Will compress the data but some will not work if uk only access required

I don't understand what you're saying. I'm using the app that's compressing data and it appears to be working but my data usage is still quite excessive.

Message 34 of 36

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

which version there is onova count and onova extend

count just counts extend compresses the text you posted suggested count

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 35 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

which version there is onova count and onova extend

count just counts extend compresses the text you posted suggested count

I downloaded both apps. Onavo Count appears to be using quite a bit of data itself though.

Message 36 of 36