cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 - 3G Usage Extremely High

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought the iPhone 5 on Friday afternoon and got around to switching it on and setting it up just over 24 hours ago. I set up wifi straight away and have been using this since I set it up. It was only about 6 hours ago when I left the house that 3G wasn't working, even though it's all switched on on the phone.

I called o2 who said that something had not been activated by Phones4U (where I bought the phone). They said that it could take up to 5 working days for the 3G to start working but it's usually working within 24 hours. She said to keep resetting network settings every now and then to see if it was working but that I'd receive an email when it was activated.

Was just wondering from other users' experience, is this actually likely to take 24 hours or closer to the 5 working days as it would be somewhat of an inconvenience if that was the case?

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Make sure you turn location services off. A lot of apps track your location constantly.

Cheers mate. Have turned off location services. Hopefully this makes a difference in addition to the Onavo app.

Message 21 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

It will as apps that use your location are always searching locations so that uses data

Message 22 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was when I got it, no idea if it still is as when I look on the Apple Store everything I have bought shows as downloaded so I have no idea if it was free or not. 

Message 23 of 36

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

still free and 2 versions one that reduces and one that counts only http://www.onavo.com/

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 24 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: I've been out of the house 6 hours today and consciously used the iPhone a lot less than what I would have done normally on my Blackberry. I've checked my Facebook/Twitter a couple of times and monitored my usage on the My O2 App and on Onavo Apps; amounting to about 15 minutes of use.

According to the Ovado app, this is my usage since I downloaded the app earlier today.

Onavo Count: 3.86MB

MyO2: 3.78MB

Web (Secure): 2.44MB

Web: 1.97MB

Instagram: 989KB

Twitter: 896KB

Apple Services: 559KB

iTunes/AppStore: 375KB

Onavo Extend: 258KB

Exchange Mail: 229KB

Settings: 199KB

Mobile Backup: 90KB

Apple Services: 11KB

Game Centre: 10KB

Stocks: 3KB

I'm now shutting down background apps and I have location settings switched off as advised. According to My02, I've now used 28MB of data (around 15MB today). I know this is quite long-winded and I apologise for that but I hope based on the details I've given before, someone can advise me as to whether this is all normal usage and if it would be wise to delete apps such as Onavo Count and MyO2 that appear to be using the most data ( just 7.64 today) I really do want to get the most out of my phone. I never monitored data usage on my Blackberry as I never got close to 500MB so I hope this can be the same case with my iPhone and my 1GB plan.

Message 25 of 36

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Just remembers that all blackberry data went through their servers and automatically compressed data the other onova app will do the same.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 26 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

Just remembers that all blackberry data went through their servers and automatically compressed data the other onova app will do the same.

Yes I was made aware that I'd probably use more data on an iPhone due to this. Even so, my usage has still surprised me as I've consciously used it much less. Do you think it would be wise to delete the likes of the Onavo counter and MyO2 app as these seem to be using up a lot of data?

Message 27 of 36

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Suprised at your my O2 app. I wonder what it's doing:/

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 28 of 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144293 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Me too.... Mine does nothing unless I open it ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 29 of 36

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

I wonder, are you regularly checking your data useage on your myo2 app?

Go settings>general>about>advertising and switch that off should save you 200kb.

also in same area but click on diagnostics and usage click don't send.

you should also stop your backup from syncing on 3G you can do that in the iCloud section Of settings.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 30 of 36