cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

facetime over 3g

Anonymous
Not applicable

can you use facetime over 3g on an iphone 4 with 750 mg data and on a iphone data bolt on and iphone tariff ?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I held a FaceTime call with my son yesterday. He uses a 4s and I use a 5. I can see the feature being a novel idea but I'm not keen on the service. Perhaps couples that are apart will use this.

I never liked web cams and as such I don't even use this on my MBA. And disliked my children using then too but on balance trusted in their judgement.
Message 11 of 16

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Now I use face time all the time.

Ive used in in France, London and even on the train last night.

Its a great way to communicate for me and if its on Wifi its free.

When i was in France paticualr, I didnt pay for any phone calls, just used face time on Wifi. I was able to do live feeds and my friends and family could see things around me, I was able to show them some sights as well (Wifi Range)

I also thought it was a Novel at first, but I now use it more and more and never think twice about it.

Will be using it lots when in USA next year to face time home and even when im at disney. My family may be 4.5 thousand miles away, but they can also enjoy watching the parade on their Ipads wink

Oh and and back to using Facetime on 3G. It works fine, just be mindful of Data useage thats all

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

i take it that it sucks up a lot of data then

Message 13 of 16

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

You could blow a 1gb data plan quite quickly:(

Downloading 720p and uploading 720p would be a considerable data hog:(

rouch figures,

720p

• Bits Per Second (down): 20+ Mbps
  • Bits Per Second (up): 320Kbps
  • Data used per 5 minute video: 37.5MB

these figure were from watching a YouTube video. Your looking around 70mb for a 5 minute call. Average uk call is 22minutes so  308mb for 22 minutes of call time:(

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 14 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

definitly not then unless using wi fi

Message 15 of 16

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

If need to, then the facetime over 3G is limited to a couple of Mins, other wise its Wifi for me.

But yes Facetime over 3G like Liquid says, consumes data alot.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 16 of 16